Chapter Thirty One - Happiness of the Enys'

The next morning i was feeding the twins when Demelza came and sat next to me with a downcast look.

"I fear Drake still hankers for Morwenna." she told me.

"So do I. Ross rue's the day she ever crossed his path." I reply

"For giving Mr Warleggan the chance to injure the two of you through them?" she wonders and I turn to her fully

"His attempt only hurt himself, Demelza. You and your brothers are under my care and protection, like family. It just makes me sorry that through hurting your brothers Ross finally understand that terror makers like George aren't to be reasoned with. But I do have some good news for you. Ross has found a way to help Drake." her ears perked up at that nugget of information.

"And?"

"He will be taking you and your brother there today. Go on." I shoo her off. Ross had purchase the blacksmiths for Drake to my idea. The children and I walk past it on a daily basis and Ross took it from there.

---------

Caroline and Dwight ended the pretence of courtship and were now finally public as husband and wife. Ross and I attended the celebrations and were announced. I embraced my friends with ernest and congratulated them. As we got our refreshments our eyes came upon Elizabeth and George. I rubbed my husbands back turning my attention away from them and getting ourselves something to drink.

"She blesses you daily for returning him home" I comment my gaze falling on the happy couple. Then Morwenna and Reverend Whitworth,  followed my Lord Falmouth. I was going to excuse myself when Dwight was to make a speech.

"My Lords, ladies and gentlemen. Forgive me. I promise to be brief in my words but profuse in my thanks. To Caroline for making me the happiest of men. To all of you, for joining our festivities. But above all to one man to whom it is entirely due that Caroline a I stand here as man and wife." I nudge Ross' arm and smile at him "May I ask you to raise your glasses to the noblest, bravest man I've ever known. Captain Ross Poldark!"

"Captain Ross Poldark." I toasted my husband much to his blushes.

"If you'll permit me, just a few words." Lord Falmouth asked and was granted as he took his place beside the happy couple

"Saving your blushes Captain Poldark but I too must express gratitude to the hero of Quimper. For saving my  nephew Lieutenant Hugh Armitage" Mr Armitage came out from behind his uncle

"I second that. The hero of Quimper!"

"The hero of Quimper!" The music started up once more and Lord Falmouth came over to join us.

"My Lord, I believe you know my wife..."

"Mistress Poldark, always a pleasure." he bowed and I curtsied "Your husband is a reluctant hero, ma'am. Yet he cannot avoid the fame attaching to his exploits."

"Yes but let us hope that it will not go to his head and inspire him to mark on another." Ross and I chuckle as he takes my waist.

"It is a novelty to find a wife so eager to keep her husband at home. But England may have need of him." he was suggestive upon something, well not just something it was no secret that our MP for Truro has recently past away.

"Well if it is for England. I doubt either of us will be left lacking." I smile

"You must visit again sometime and bring our hero with you." he rested his hand on Ross' shoulder "Thank you." he then left the two of us.

"How is it, that nearly every Gentleman and Lord who attends here is enthralled by you and you've met them before?" Ross inquires making me chuckle

"You should know the answer to that, isn't it why you married me?" I bit my lip and glide away. I pick a handful of grapes and eat them when I see Morwenna. I was determined to speak with her but stopped seeing Lieutenant Armitage.

"Are you not dancing, sir? Or are you more of the observant type?" I wonder

"I used to. But since I was in France, my eyesight has declined." he told me and I felt a bout of sadness.

"Will it mend?"

"Dr Enys assures me. But where is Captain Poldark?" he inquired and I looked around

"Hiding, he's not overly fond of  dancing, jigs yes, dancing no." I chuckle having another drink.

"With you as a partner? Is he mad?" Armitage questioned making me laugh.

"I sometimes think so." I saw Morwenna excuse herself "Would you excuse me, please?" he nodded and I followed her.