Chapter Twenty One - White Lies

I went to have tea with Caroline, she was in higher spirits with the hope she had of the Royalists saving Dwight and all the other prisoners.

"Ross has been called away to Lowe on business at the boatyard." I told her then took a sip of my tea

"And the Royalists will shortly sail from Falmouth. I wish I were going with them. But how shall we distract ourselves meanwhile." I was about to say that I would be busy at home "I know! You could accompany me to Tregothnan. Lord Falmouth's gathering the cream of Cornish aristocracy"

"I'm no aristocrat ." I deny

"You have nobler blood than many vying to attend. Besides your father was an Gentleman. Come say you'll keep me company." I nodded

"As long as you keep an eye on me one too many and I will be up at every dance and wake up with the most splitting headache I'll want to run away from the twins cries." she chuckled

"I promise."

---------

When I returned home there was a letter from Ross waiting for me. I opened and read it. One of these days I wouldn't be right about Ross and plans.

"Plans have changed, he's on his own." I told Prudie and Demelza.

"Judas" Demelza breathed

"I knew this was going to happen, Ross' plans are never simple and they always stray." I huff in annoyance.

------

"Abigail! Abigail!" Demelza came running in and launched herself into my arms.

"Demelza, what's the matter?" I wrapped my arms around her in comfort as she wept in my arms.

"It's Drake, he's run off. He's joined Mister Ross on his trip to France." she sobbed

"He did what now?!" I exclaim and she pulled away.

"He said he took to heart what you said about finding a purpose away from Morwenna. That he hopes to find it by going on this rescue mission and that I was not to blame you or Captain Ross." she recited what she had read.

"Oh, Demelza I'm so sorry. If I had any inclination about what he was going to do I would have knocked him out or something." I stress. She ripped away her tears and cleared her throat.

"'Tis not your fault. For Drake swears this was his own wish and decision." she assured me

"Demelza, there is nothing we can do now, no matter how much we wish it. The best we can do is hope, pray and distract ourselves of our thoughts. Ross will take good care of him once he realises, for the fear of his neck and head from us if he doesn't." I promise her "I must be getting down to the mine. keep yourself busy until I return okay." she nodded. With reluctance I left her and the house.

-------

It was pay day and I was counting out the wages and login them, when the door opened and Sam stepped in.

"Tom Harry's got wind of what Mister Ross is doing." he told me

"Bleeding hell. Half the county will know before this evening." I grumble, he closed the door behind him

"'Tis unlike to endanger the mission since the news cannot reach France. So there is some consolation." he tried to ease tension in the air.

"Not a lot. Ross wanted it to remain secret till he returned. If my friend finds out... I cannot bare the consequence of the lie I told to try and protect her. I must go see her, we're supposed to be attending this event. Neither of us can go."

-----

Another lie to protect Caroline from the truth of the moment I stood afar from her , in a ditch attempt to keep her from finding out.

"A fever. I must say you look none the worst for it." she commented

"I think I must keep indoors tonight. I was hoping you'd bide with me." I tried

"My dear, I'm beginning to look like a recluse. I must put in an appearance, with our without an escort." she touched my arm lightly and left to get ready.

"I will apply some remedies and come with you." I call making her turn around "It feels like the start of a fever but hopefully, Dwight as taught Demelza well and..." i trial off, she returned to me.

"If you start to feel any worse, just say the word and I will take you home." I nodded apprehensively.