Chapter 26. Alpha of mine

Jason's POV

Watching my pregnant mate sleeping safely next to me brought joy and peace to my heart. The room that previously only held my scent and the occasional whiffs of my beta and gamma, now permeated with a gentle undertone of Simon's scent. Bringing Simon to all my businesses was partially because I wanted them to get familiar with my little mate and their luna. Even if some humans or werewolf employees were not in my pack, I treat them like they are and hope that they will respect Simon, the same way the pack members do. But I digress, the other reason I wanted to do so was so I could spread Simon's delicious scent out over every office and building that I might have to work at. Sure, the scent might serve as a distraction but overal will probably calm me down immensely whenever I'm dealing with stressful clients without my mate being near me. I still want him to lead his own life as his own person. Even though I could provide for him for the rest of his life and carry him with me wherever I go, I don't want to risk taking away possible experiences from his life. 

I hear a soft knock from outside my office and walk towards the door to check it out. Spotting Chris with a slightly worried look on his face, I walk out of the office and close the door behind me.

"What is wrong? Anything happen to Shao Fei?"

"No boss. It's the old alpha..." Chris answers hesitantly.

"Is father alright? He should've contacted me if something happened to him or the pack."

"I should just bite the bullet. The old Alpha fell down the stairs and was sent to the hospital." At this, my brows furrowed and I shouted back in a whisper.

"What?! Why did they send him to the hospital? The pack doctor should be able to fix up any injury his own healing abilities couldn't fix."

"No boss...I think the old Alpha has reached his limit..." Chris sadly answers with his head down. My eyes widen and my heart drops. We've all been expecting the alpha to fall ill due to losing his mate. But it was only a few months ago that he was still leading the pack in good health.

"What hospital did he get transferred to? Central or West?"

"Central, the family doctor has been working there even when the old luna was alive. You and Simon should go, I don't think he is in critical condition right now but the doctors haven't confirmed yet what exactly happened"

"Call Johny, pick him up and bring him to the hospital if he isn't there yet. I'll take Yao-er."

"Will do. I'm sorry Alpha." Chris apologized as he walked away.

I sigh and am tempted to bang my head against the wall, but that would get me nowhere. I have to get Yao-er to the hospital now. 

Walking back towards my mate, I shake him up gently until his eyes open.

"Yao-er, baby..." I try and coax him out of his sleep, but I can't stop the anxiety creeping into my voice.

"Wha-what happened? How long was I out for Zhonge Ze?" He mumbled as he blinks open his eyes. I stop shaking him and help him sit him up straight.

"Only for 2 hours my love, but we need to go now." This seemed to bring him on high alert immediately.

"Is something wrong?" He asked me, his heartbeat racing and his hands clamming up and vibrating. I almost didn't have the heart to tell him the truth, because he already seemed so vulnerable, but the consequences if I were to do so might be infinitely worse.

"Father has been taken to the hospital." I rush out and hold him steady, one hand going to the back of his neck.

"Wha-What. No no no. Your lying. He should still be healthy!" My mate started mumbling frantically, his eyes starting to become wet and his whole body now started shaking. Xia Yao payed more attention to his dad's health than anyone else and already knew what the situation would be if his father was in the hospital.