4

Wren slipped her shawl off as she entered the hall and passed it to one of the cloakroom attendees for them to hang up. Her hair cascaded down her back in natural waves that accentuated and framed her face. Lips stained crimson in a lipstick that screamed 'Hydra red' for good measure. Seeing as the theme was black tie she'd opted for a gold backless dress which skimmed and nipped in at all the right places. 

She had to admit that she scrubbed up well. The slight chill she now felt hitting her back was one that had her wondering whether it was the evening temperatures dropping, or if it was from pure anticipation of entering a hall filled with Hydra personnel – and perhaps even Captain Hydra himself. Even now the goosebumps were rising, her eyes scanning the hall for any signs of Alexander, or other key people she'd come to identify during her time here.

Taking a glass of champagne from a passing waiter, she could feel the eyes on her. Wren hadn't meant to draw as much attention as she was getting, but it was very rare that she'd get to go out to anything like this.

Perhaps it had been better if she'd have kept her appearance to a minimum, however there were other women here who were more overdressed than she was. No matter, but she would need to seize an opportunity to go snooping in Pierce's office. She just needed to choose the right moment to slip away.

Steve's eyes scanned the room from the gallery above where he chose to keep to the shadows. The band was playing, people were mingling amongst themselves in groups whilst others were dancing or drinking. Steve himself had a bottle of wine to hand as he leant against a pillar and observed quietly, sipping every so often and savouring the taste that danced upon his tongue before burning the back of his throat.

In his other hand was his compass, which he was currently flicking open and shut every so often in order to make the evening a little more bearable. He needed some excitement, and although gatherings like this brought it to everyone else who attended, his need was of a different kind.

Pierce now came to stand by his side. "There's plenty of new faces down there." Steve said nothing to this and carried on drinking "I just wonder whether you will find the one who will give us that Hydra heir..." Pierce suggested in a rather tactful approach. "The new generation will need a leader; the organisation will need its next Captain."

He now looked across to Alexander darkly. "You just focus on keeping this place crawling with operatives. We're so close, and should you mess it up? Then I suppose I'll be forced to do something I shouldn't like to."

"Very well." Pierce said, knowing his place. He may be in charge of certain aspects, but Captain Hydra always had the last say. No way did anyone want to be on the receiving end of his punishments.

Turning back to focus, Steve stayed silent, just watching as he usually did. Then he leant forward a little, as though trying to focus properly. Pierce noted that something had caught his attention...or someone, and now as he looked in the direction the Captain was looking, he could be sure that they were looking at the same woman.

"Her..." The low growl escaped from Steve's lips. His hunger now rising inside of him from the moment he'd caught sight of her. 

She was divine.

And for the first time in his life. He had never wanted anything more than her. The woman in the gold dress...

"Bring her to me."

Pierce smiled to himself, "My assistant, Miss Reed..."

"I don't give a shit who she is. I want her, bring her to me." He commanded angrily. Alexander was wasting his precious time. "Bring her up to my apartments." And pushing himself from the pillar he'd been leant against, he took the remainder of wine in its bottle and made his way upstairs.