13

The more Steve thought about it, the more he couldn't deny her. So much so that he'd flown to Siberia for 'work related purposes' just to see whether he could shake Wren Reed from his mind.

She was intoxicating.

"Wasn't expecting you." Bucky looked surprised when Steve had walked into his office. "Another check on the troops?"

Steve shook his head. "Needed to get away for a few days."

Bucky threw him a look. He knew his friend inside out and could tell when something was truly bothering him. Usually Steve would have a gut instinct that he'd take immediate action on, but this felt like something else. He wouldn't leave DC for the sake of it, not unless he'd wanted to come and see how the Winter Solider Program was fairing. 

"From what the organisation or someone else?"

Steve crossed his arms and looked out of the window that was overlooking the recreational area. The facility was quiet, the soldiers at ease after training. Each one under their annual mind wipe. It wasn't compulsory, but it simply ensured they'd never remember. All they would know of was the mission at hand.

"Steeeeeve, you're stalling pal." Bucky jested and propped his feet up on his desk, "Is Pierce pissing you off?"

"When is he not?"

"Still going on about that Hydra heir eh?"

"I thought about it...in the near future it'll happen – but it's the woman I've chosen..."

Bucky chuckled. "What's she like? Not like you to have a girl get under your skin. You've shown no interest since 45."

"This one...she's different." The growl that escaped him was a starved one. He'd been gone for a mere few hours and already he wanted to taste her.

"That's what they all say." Bucky sank down further into his chair. "C'mon then, tell me about her."

Steve turned and leant against the wall so as he could give his friend his full attention. "For a start, she's got a hell of a mouth on her."

Bucky's rumbled laugh echoed. "Now that's an advantage."

"Unfortunately she uses it for just more than that. She challenges me, questions a lot. Sometimes I think she enjoys it."

"That shit has always made you angry though, I hope you put her in her place."

"She knows not to cross me. Believe me she learnt her lesson, but I can see she still wants to dig deeper. She wants me to trust her."

Bucky snorted at this. "Yeah right, you don't even trust me."

"Exactly, and she knows that...but I let my guard down one night, I asked her to stay."

"Shiiiiit, how'd that work out?"

"It felt...strange."

Bucky sighed. "Steve...you've been alone for a long time pal..." he reminded him. 

"I know...and that's why I hated it...but part of me secretly liked it."

"You said yourself that there would be no distractions. And this girl? She's steering you away from what you're focusing on." Bucky looked at him, knowing that he'd need to say what he had to - of course there was a chance that Steve would lose his shit and probably try and beat the living crap out of him, but he was his best friend. He'd always accepted Bucky's input on many a mission and project over the years. "You need to not let her take your focus from what's really important. We've worked our asses off for years, we're on the cusp of using Zola's algorithm to take down anyone who stands in our way. The timing couldn't be more perfect! But you're Captain Fucking Hydra, you need to quash whatever's simmering."

Steve's eyes narrowed. "I wish I could Buck."

"If she's as devoted to Hydra as she says she is? Perhaps we could wipe her..."

The reply was quick and firm, "No." 

"Why the hell not?"

"Because that's not what we do in these cases!" Steve bit back.

"Well this is a new fucking one to me! We've never had to deal with anything like this before! You especially!" Bucky argued and then calmed himself. "I'm just looking out for you."

Steve turned away. "I know Buck."

Bucky stared at him. "You trust her...don't you?"

"No. I don't...but anyone who goes near her, speaks to her, I don't like it. I wanna tear them limb from limb, but she knows she's mine."

"You're protecting her, Jesus Christ..." Bucky muttered the last part to himself. "As long as she's loyal to the cause then having a plaything – because let's face it, she's exactly that – is ok, but you can't be distracted pal. There's a line that can't be crossed and you're edging further towards it."

He was right and Steve knew it.

So why did it sting a little?

"I need to stay here a few days, get my head together and focus on the project."

"Your room's still here. I'll have someone bring you something to eat and drink." Bucky clapped him on the back, "I'm with you till the end of the line, but just think about what I've said."

"Already am." Steve replied

"You never told me her name anyway."

"Wren."

Even when Steve said her name it sent the same electrifying jolts coursing through his veins. That was just what she did to him, just how much she had got under his skin. How was it possible to want to strangle someone and yet fuck them as well? There were some days that Steve would look over at her after their activities and would have the urge to place the pillow right over her face, watching as the life would drain from her. It was in his nature to kill. An act like that would satisfy his needs.

But she satisfied him in other ways.

He couldn't afford to waste her. Steve couldn't do it, but even the darkest of thoughts would still cross his mind.

Steve would admit that he was possessive, but that was because she had agreed to only be his. So to see her speaking with other agents when she came into contact with them always pissed him off.

"Damnit." He muttered to himself

No matter how far he was, she'd always be on his mind, lingering there like a ghost to haunt whenever she pleased.

"A few days here will do you some good, recharge the old batteries." Bucky grinned and chuckled him a bottle of beer. "Besides, it's been a while we had a chance of catching up properly. You can fill me in on the project."

Gladly.

If it would take his mind off Wren, then Steve would talk about anything.