11

Wren stirred and winced slightly at the connection of the light hitting her eyes while it poured through the window. Turning her head to see whether Steve was next to her, she noted the empty side of the bed.

The night before had been the first where he'd simply wanted her presence there, and not just to use and abuse. It was a good sign in some ways, perhaps her influence was rubbing off, perhaps she could change him?

Then Wren remembered that no matter how hard she would or could try – she could never change a man like Steve Rogers. His idea of settling a dispute was to kill. It was his natural instinct. There was never any negotiation.

She could not fall for him. She would not – he wanted just the physical side, not the emotional. It was better that way.

Slipping on her robe, the sounds of music were heard coming from the living area. He was playing some old music that was most likely from the forties if Wren guessed right. Steve was sat looking through some reports while drinking some coffee, one leg propped up on the other while his eyes scanned the contents of the pages. The sight of him just acting naturally took her aback. It was just a strange scene to see Captain Hydra going about his day like a normal man.

It was Saturday after all, only a select few worked in terms of Hydra employees, herself being one now that she was Steve's assistant.

He looked across at her, sensing her presence from the moment he'd heard her get out of bed. Steve couldn't help but look at her attire. Hair a little messed from purely being in bed (for once he had nothing to do with it – although that could change later), and her satin robe gracefully slipping from one shoulder to expose it as well as the underwear set that was underneath.

Holy Hell.

Already something was stirring within him.

"Good morning." She smiled lightly, leaning against the doorway.

He beckoned her to him with his finger, pulling her onto him and putting the papers on the coffee table. "I thought I'd let you sleep..."

The coolness of his hands chilled her skin as they slid inside of her robe and rested on her waist. "Didn't you have a meeting this morning?" She frowned. Wren was sure that there was something on the diary for today.

Steve nodded. "In an hour. It's gonna be a long one,"

"Am I allowed to go home and change my clothes?" She smirked.

His lips brushed over her collarbone with the rough "No" telling her that she was going to be staying in either her underwear all day or she was going to have to wear yesterday's outfit. "I'll need you here."

"Am I allowed to know what it's about?" She asked, innocently trying to get as much as she could about their role in Project Insight. Wren saw his face. "I'm your assistant. Surely I should know about certain things?"

"Yes, but not this." He told her sternly.

She slipped off of him and poured herself some coffee. "You still don't trust me."

"I told you already. I trust no one."

"So why am I here then?" She now turned and snapped; the irritation clear. She had no idea why she'd come over like that. Why it bothered her so much that he could tell her about things be it work related or personal? Steve was so guarded, and she hated it.

She hated herself for having these feelings. They were so mixed.

Shit...

Maybe she was falling for him?

This was toxic. The whole situation and she knew that she needed to get out of it. But he wouldn't let her go – she was his. She belonged to him.

A fresh realisation hit her like a tonne of bricks.