Bonus Chapter #4: Always

Kinsley

Kinsley

The high-vaulted ceilings of the barn are void of any cobwebs or dust. Twinkling fairy lights are strung throughout the exposed rafters, emphasizing the rustic vibe. No residual oat hay litters the floor; it's been replaced by a faux temporary concrete flooring, creating an even seating area and walk way. On either side of the walkway, there are several wooden chairs and fragrant arrangements of magnolias and baby's breath. The entryway's frame is also decorated with the same flowers.

At the altar, I situate the final arrangement of flowers, making sure they're aligned. Then I secure them with a knot of sparkly burlap. It's the same burlap that decorates their wedding cake.

Pushing to my feet, I wipe my dusty hands on my overalls and survey the area.

The wedding cake is in the far corner, sitting next to a book and pen you can sign and wish them nothing but happiness. The table is constructed out of several bales of hay with a slab of rustic oak atop. Behind the table and wedding cake is a curtain of fairy lights, with the backdrop being the rustic walls of the barn itself. With the warm glow of the fairy lights and the July sun peeking through the cracks, the cake looks gorgeous. It's a naked cake, meaning the icing is minimal and the decorations are extravagant. Perched atop a wooden cake stand, peonies and magnolias and baby's breath spill from the cake, creating a waterfall effect.

After several days of prepping the barn, it feels magical. Even the smell from the magnolias—sweet and floral with a hint of fruit—is perfect. But while everything looks perfect, there's still a hint of anxiety resting in my gut. In less half an hour, this barn will be filled with people for Daisy and Cole's wedding. After everything they've been through, Cole and Daisy deserve a perfect wedding. Not ony did they have troubles of their own, but they also supported Noel and I while we recovered.

Making sure the wedding is perfect will never account for their support, but it's a step forward.

Which is why I readjust the bouquet pinned to the altar. From afar, it was looking a little crooked. Any minute now, people will be entering the barn to take their seats. All I need to do, as the maid of honour, is change into my dress. It's a soft pink floor-length chiffon dress with a V-neckline and A-line silhouette skirt with a slit up the leg. The straps are spaghetti straps with an open back.

Good thing I had my hair and makeup done earlier. Otherwise, I'd be concerned. But changing into a dress won't take long. My hair has been braided into a crown with baby's breath woven into it. The makeup palette is similar: light pink with white and gold, a stroke of eyeliner, some blush, and mascara.

Of course, Willow picked the hair styles and dresses. She thought we should match so Daisy could look unique.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that's usually the goal of the bridesmaids. When she made the suggestion, she was so proud of herself that everyone went along with it. Who am I to kill a child's happiness? Especially when her mom and dad are getting married?