Nineteen

Kinsley

Kinsley

While Cole's gone, Noel and I watch the movie. Aside from the movie, the room is silent. The air between Noel and me is tense. Deciding to sit beside him isn't helping the tenseness. Although I'm not much of a talker, I feel as though I should break the silence. He's the one who invited me over, after all.

Being social isn't a talent of mine. In fact, I'm positive I repel being social. Which is ironic. Before the accident, I was a social butterfly. Back then, I could mingle and discuss any topic, even pointless ones. During college, I made several friends and could continue conversations on for hours.

Now?

Stringing sentences together is difficult. There's no point in wasting my time. After coming close to death and losing the people I love... After dealing with traumatic aftermath... Mingling isn't my thing.

However, there is a small part of me that longs for carefree topics and discussions normal people have. I wish I could fit in and be normal again. They say your years at university hold value. Any type of value. If you achieve a degree or if you're partying until the sun rises—there is still value in it. You're supposed to be wild, young, and free.

Me?

I'm trapped in a cage built by foundation of my personal hell. Memories and trauma. The lingering aftermath of my injuries.

The accident stole my life from me. Witnessing the deaths of my loved ones sucked the ability to feel from my heart. Impact took my innocence. That was when the world decided I needed to grow up. Although I hate to use cliché sayings, it definitely was in the blink of an eye. In the blink of an eye, I watched my youth disappear. Now, I never wonder, never nurture my curiosity. Risks no longer exist. Fear and trauma control my mind.

Prior to the accident, I was eccentric. On hikes, no stone was left unturned (figuratively). I wanted to know, learn, and see everything. Aaron used to call me reckless and adventurous, but with my head screwed on properly. I had energy and was smart about my decisions.

That's the Kinsley Hastings who died.

She died and left behind a shell.

"Please tell me you're bored with this movie," Noel says.

I glance at Noel. He's leaning against the pillows. Although he's creating the illusion he's relaxing, I can tell he's not. As this term has progressed, he's become easier to read. Noel can never relax. He always needs to be moving. During lecture hours, he's gnawing at the eraser on his pencil or tapping his foot against the carpet. On stage, he's singing and strumming his guitar. Right now, he can't get comfortable. Ever since Cole started the movie, Noel's ben shifting his weight back and forth. If the bed creaks one more time, I'll slap him silly.

My brow furrows. "I voted for the movie. Why would I be bored with it?"

He mutters something about how much he hates superhero movies.