Forty-Two

Noel

Noel

The next morning, I wake early. Leaving Kinsley alone is the last thing I want to do. However, I need to prepare for our date. Preparation will ease some of the nervousness I'm feeling.

She seems to enjoy her time with the horses, so I've decided on horseback riding for our second date.

During a discussion a few weeks ago, I learned she has some experience. Plus, she's very outdoorsy. This should go over well.

I hope.

Kinsley hasn't been around the perimeter of my family's property yet, either. There's a straightforward path we can take. I'll show her the property, then we'll stop at the lake and have lunch. Maybe we'll go for a dip in the lake, too. The mid-June weather's been hot enough.

As I'm changing into my jeans and cowboy boots, I sigh. Hope seems to be a common theme today.

I just hope she enjoys this.

After freshening up, I head downstairs and grab a quick bite to eat. Gramps isn't here. Nor is Cole.

I feel a sense of relief. Gramps likes to stick his nose in other people's business. He's also very opinionated. And although Cole won't demand or expect answers, he likes to ask questions.

Not having them here allows me to concentrate on making sandwiches and lemonade for Kinsley and I.

Once those are complete, I pack them into a backpack, along with some snacks, bottled water, and some apples for the horses. Then I head to the stables.

Before Kinsley joins me, I need to saddle them up and prepare them for riding.

Buttercup is the best horse to ride. However, separating her from Blaze isn't an option. She's a busy mother now. Instead, I choose our black mares, Shadow and Cinder.

Shadow and Cinder have unique stories. One of our mares had these two seven years ago. Sadly, the mare died because of complications during an early brith. Gramps and I took care of these two for weeks and fought to keep them alive. Neither were in great condition, as mares having twins is rare and not recommended.

Keeping these two alive was a miracle, but we did it.

Shadow approaches me first, taking the apple from my hand. As she's chewing, she knocks her head against my shoulder.

I give her neck a scratch. "Hey, baby girl," I whisper.

Saddling Shadow doesn't take long. Because of my peace offering, she cooperates with me. I leave Cinder without a saddle because I prefer bareback.

In hindsight, I should've discussed this with Kinsley. Saddling Shadow sounded like the better option since she doesn't have years of riding experience. I hope Kinsley isn't offended by my decision.

After I'm done, I head back to the house. Kinsley is waiting on the front porch. She's dressed in jeans and a tank top.

When my gaze meets hers, images of last night surface. Pain carves out a spot in my heart. Her nightmare was horrible. Aside from myself, I've never seen someone breakdown like that.