Eighteen

Cole

Cole

I have to call Jack.

Sitting with Noel and Kinsley while knowing the truth is eating me alive. I'm so bloody uncomfortable. Jumping off of a cliff sounds appealing. 

Too bad there aren't many cliffs in Calgary.

I want the movie to end. Now. Kinsley's presence is belittling me. Noel's presence is straining my conscience. One of them has to leave. At least until I've figured out a way to deal with this shit and the fallout looming on the horizon.

When Kinsley revealed her past, I thought she was talking rubbish at first. Maybe she was blabbing because of her panic attack. Or maybe she'd heard of Noel through the country music grapevine and wanted to grab his attention. Perhaps she was trying to terrify me.

None of my hypotheses were correct. Kinsley spoke nothing but the truth. Her story, location, facts—they all make sense. They connect with Noel's story.

The pain that consumed her...

Bloody hell.

Kinsley Hastings survived the accident. I know she's the lone survivor of the family who suffered from Josiah's addiction. But...

Jack knows the name of the family who died. Although I know who Kinsley is, I want to hear Jack confirm it.

The accident broke my best mate.

After Noel was released from the hospital, I spent weeks on the farm. Throughout that time, I tried to talk to Noel. Convincing him the accident wasn't his fault was impossible. Making sure he ate and slept was a battle. He didn't want help bathing, despite his injuries.

Noel's first month was hell. I've never seen someone fall so deep into a pit of self-loathing. He lost too much weight. Depression set in. I'll never forget the day he told me he wished he'd died, too.

Pain consumes my heart. I have to squeeze my eyes shut. The Thai food we ordered was delicious, but now I want to throw it up. I feel sick.

I need Jack to confirm it before this situation becomes ten times worse. I know the survivor's name. I've befriended the survivor. Bloody hell, I even admire her for making it this far.

And let's not forget I'm keeping drastic secrets from both of them.

Bloody hell.

The air is too thick. I need to leave.

Adjusting the collar of my shirt, I clear my throat and slide off of the bed.

"The loo is calling my name," I mutter. Before heading to the door, I grab my phone, sticking it in my back pocket. "Be right back."

Noel snorts. "It's the washroom."

Bantering with Noel is one of my hobbies. We love to joke about Canadian terminology and British terminology. Right now, though? I can't stomach it.