Thirty-Two

Kinsley

Kinsley

I've almost completed my thesis and documentation of fieldwork hours. Prior to Noel offering me a place, my wildest dreams never even imagined this.

Being ahead makes me feel giddy. For a different reason than I assumed. Leaving early for Winnipeg... I no longer want to pursue that goal.

After I've completed my work, I want to stick around. If Jack allows me to, I'll pull my weight around here a little more. Instead of just feeding the chickens every morning, I'll do more. Noel may have to teach me, but I'll welcome lessons.

This realization occurred last night while I was poking at my dinner. It terrified me. Despite the time difference, I had to call my therapist back in Winnipeg. She took my call with no objections. Dr. Sullivan was warm and welcoming. She was happy to hear how I was doing. Happy to give me advice and express how proud she is of my progress.

When she asked about the nightmares, I avoided an answer like the plague. Although they've calmed down, they're still graphic and realistic.

All I wanted to discuss were the positives. Once Dr. Sullivan realized I was avoiding the topic, we discussed my daily life. She knows about my friendship with Cole. My friendship with Daisy. How I'm cooking my own meals and living alone. My interest in Noel.

How much I'm enjoying staying here.

Not because of Noel, Cole, Daisy, or Jack.

I'm enjoying myself because I've taken a step out of my comfort zone. A step I thought I'd never be able to take again. Living alone means I don't rely on other people. My grandparents aren't doing my laundry. Tristan isn't here to give me advice about campus. I feel free. Free to be myself and gain independence. 

I used to fear being alone, despite my stiffness towards people. Now, I'm adapting to it. The more time I spend embracing independence, the more I enjoy it.

Right now is a prime example.

I'm sitting on the fence, watching as Buttercup and her beautiful colt interact. Every aspect of maternal behaviour I document puts a smile on my face. So does seeing the colt.

The colt I still haven't named.

It's difficult to name an animal when you need a name as meaningful as Buttercup's.

"Darlin', if you keep frownin' like that, it may become permanent."

I recognize her voice. Closing my notebook, I balance it on the fence and slide down.

Daisy greets me with a hug. Her egg bag makes it difficult, but we manage.

"Daisy," I smile. "Hey."

She flashes me a beaming smile. "Hello there, darlin'. How are you?"

We break the hug, and I respond with a shrug. "Great. Thanks for getting my credit card back to me, by the way. I forgot to thank you last time."

"No worries," she winks. "We were caught up in conversation."