Two

One year later

One year later...

Kinsley

The nightmares still plague me.

At night, I toss and I turn. Guilt and despair are the epitome of causation.

The vehicle is a reminder of my nightmares, heightening the effects of trauma. Uncle Stanley is pulling into a parking space. Aunt Ann is talking to her mom—my grandma—about gardening tips. Grandpa is silent.

Me?

My lungs feel like they're compressing. I feel like I'm being smothered to death. I'm frozen in my seat, gripping the seatbelt so hard my knuckles are white. This doesn't feel like a casual drive to campus. I'm not in Calgary. I'm in hell.

Being in this vehicle is torture.

That's why, when the roaring engine has been cut, I'm the first one to exit the vehicle.

After exiting the vehicle, I remove my compact and dab concealer beneath my eyes. I then blend it with my fingers. The concealer doesn't erase the purple half-moons beneath my eyes.

Slouching against the car, I stare at my reflection. My blue eyes look dull. My blonde hair is flat, despite the brown undertones and blonder highlights. The scar across my cheekbone is milky, save for the faint dash of pink in the middle. I hold the compact out, getting a minimal view of my body. Even my cardigan looks wrong. It hangs on my skinny frame.

I sigh, glancing behind me. Grandma and Grandpa are already unloading my suitcases from the back of the vehicle. We're on campus at the University of Calgary.

Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I take a deep breath and slip the compact back into my bag. The air is crisp and cool. It smells of wet dirt and something musky, like decaying leaves. The weather today is blustery, adding to the dreary emotions threaded through my chest. I tighten my cardigan around me, searching the area as I do.

The University of Calgary is impressive. Pine trees challenge the erect buildings, standing tall and powerful amongst the industrialized area. Street-lamps line the road and parking lot. Around the buildings, there are grassy spaces dotted with picnic tables. Each table is occupied by students.

Their laughter and smiles make me wonder why I'm here. Online schooling would've been the better option. I feel out of place.

However, they can only hold my spot for so long. I worked damn hard to gain it. I graduated from high school with top grades. After graduating, I completed two years' worth of university courses in Winnipeg. Again, my grades were on top. Because of that, I was given a spot in one of Canada's best veterinarian programs.

I was supposed to go directly to vet school after those two years. It's why I switched residence to Alberta, living with my aunt and uncle for a few months. I wanted to test out living in Alberta. See if I could do it.