Seventeen

Kinsley

Kinsley

Returning to campus is difficult. After visiting the cemetery and being reminded of the accident... regaining my campus rhythm was difficult. Two weeks pass before I feel somewhat normal again.

Noel doesn't help with that.

With first term ending, I thought I wouldn't have to interact with Noel as much. Turns out, that's not the case. This term, he's in three of my classes. As I'm stepping into class on a Friday morning, books in hand and toque on my head, I freeze in the doorway.

Noel's sitting in my spot.

I draw my bottom lip between my teeth, suppressing my frustration. My thoughts are precarious. The classroom is small, adding to the sense of anxiety lingering in my stomach. I'm picky about where I sit. However, sitting beside Noel is the last thing I want.

Because I'm late, I don't make a scene. I sit beside Noel without muttering a hint of frustration—I keep that bottled up.

When class ends, Noel and I don't say a word to each other. Ever since our last outing, we've come to a mutual agreement. A silent mutual agreement. We speak to each other. We're kind and respectful. But, more importantly, we don't ask questions.

Today feels different, though.

I'm not a fan of Noel's silence. Instead of glancing at me or passing me a note in class, he stared at the whiteboard and took notes while listening to our professor drone on during the lecture. His posture was tense. I thought the pen in his hand was going to snap. The half-moons under his eyes were different shades of purple, too. He looked exhausted.

And while I'm annoyed with being associated with Noel, part of me enjoys this. As we exit the classroom, side-by-side and shoulders brushing, I can't prevent myself from feeling the slightest drop of happiness. It's a kernel of golden light in my chest.

Despite my best efforts to not feel this way, I enjoy Noel's presence because he's a familiar face. His leathery, spicy cologne is a familiar smell. His dimples are attributes my mind fantasizes about.

The other half of me despises him. His cocky attitude is nothing far from labelling him a jerk. His impulsive behaviour scares me.

His presence is contradictory.

Noel calms me while also invoking anxiety.

On the day of orientation, my peer advisor warned me classes would become more challenging with each term. She suggested I find a study group. I had scoffed at her suggestion. There's a reason I received a scholarship.

She was right, though.

What I lack is the social aspect of university. Being with Noel makes that easier. Several times, they have assigned us group projects. With his carefree and slightly arrogant vibe added to his popularity, he makes it easy for me. While I fade into the shadows, contributing to group work, Noel will do the talking.