Thirty-Five

Cole

Cole

The next morning, Noel and Kinsley are spooning on the couch. Kinsley's forehead is pressed against Noel's chest. His hand is pressed against her lower back. Their legs are tangled. 

They look peaceful.

I freeze at the bottom of the stairs, leaning against the post while I stare. My emotions are bittersweet. Watching them fall in love is dreadful. When the truth is revealed, which is inevitable, their worlds will break again.

But I'm also happy for them. They deserve happiness. I haven't seen Noel sleep in for years. Now I see him sleeping past ten o'clock with his arms wrapped around the victim of his father's mistakes.

Since meeting Kinsley, she hasn't lowered her walls. Here she is now, folded against Noel. Her posture isn't rigid. Her mind and heart aren't stuck in constant reminders of her family.

Both of them are relaxed. 

The progress they're making...

The connection these two have is bonkers. People aren't lying when they say the world is small. It makes me believe coincidences aren't real. Something brought these two together, whether it's fate or some higher power, I'm not sure.

Billions of people live in the world. Noel could fall in love with any of them. Instead, he's falling in love with Kinsley.

Their pasts, presents, and futures are intertwined.

My eyes burn with emotions as I leave them, heading for the kitchen. After yesterday's hard work, I need coffee. Something strong enough to shake the exhaustion from my bones.

Instead of having the kitchen to myself, though, I see Jack. He's leaning against the counter in front of the sink. His arms are crossed. One hand holds a cup of coffee.

Next to him is a bottle of Bailey's.

Disappointment fills my chest. Then guilt.

I'm not doing enough. I've enabled Jack several times. His drinking needs to stop. Jack needs to be prepared for when Noel and Kinsley decide they trust each other enough to express their truths.

Lips pressed together, I grab the bottle of Bailey's and twist the lid off. At the sink, I push Jack out of the way. Then I dump the contents of the bottle out.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jack asks.

I ignore him. Even when he tries to grab the bottle from me. I respect Jack. Despite his addiction, he's given Noel a better life than his father ever could've. What I don't respect is the trauma and pain it brings Noel. My best mate has been through enough. He doesn't need more weight on his shoulders.

Jack's strength doesn't compare to mine; I'm able to keep him at arm's length while the contents slide down the drain.

When the bottle is empty, I turn to Jack.