Chapter 10

Chapter Song: Fly Away With Me by Tom Walker

T/W: Mention of suicide

RILEY'S POV

It's the next morning and Alex still hasn't come down. They locked themself in the twins' parents' room and haven't opened it since for anyone.

Nobody's said anything about it but I know everyone's starting to think that they actually did what Zack told them to do. This caused a riff between the twins. Sarah used to cling to her brother but now she can't even be in the same room as him.

I refuse to think that Alex—

No.

I can't even say it.

But nobody else has bothered to confirm anything. So now I'm here standing outside the door trying to listen for any sign of life.

Nothing. I don't hear anything.

I start to panic.

I have to know.

I slowly raise my hand and knock on the door.

"Alex? It's Riley. Please let me in."

No reply.

Maybe they didn't hear me.

Tears are streaming down my face now.

I knock again.

"Alex, please."

Still, nothing happens and every cell in my body begins to stiffen at the possible meaning behind this stillness.

Then suddenly, the door opens and I feel a gust of wind flow back through my lungs.

I raise my head up and meet brown eyes staring back at me.

They step aside to let me in so I do. I hear them close the door as I notice the mound on the bed under the blanket.

Alex doesn't say anything and just walks past me and stands by the window.

"Zack didn't mean what he said." I say, not knowing what else to begin with.

"Doesn't stop it from not hurting." I look at Alex, surprised by the softness of their voice. I've never heard them sound so vulnerable before. They were always either headstrong or indifferent. This was a different side of them and I hated that I couldn't comfort them the way they would always comfort us.

They slide down to the floor and place their head on their knees. "See this is why I keep to myself. Less chances of hurting and being hurt."

I move to sit beside them. "But that's not really living is it?"

"Don't turn Alex on me." Alex says with a small chuckle while nudging my shoulder.

I give them a small smile, noticing a little light come back into their eyes. We stare at each other for a few seconds until they look down and cough.

"Look, just let me feel this ok. I'll be fine after, don't worry. Proven and tested."

"Okay... but can I stay here while you feel things?" They look back up at me, surprised.

They slowly nod. "As long as you don't distract me."

"I won't." I smile at them.

"You're already doing it!"

"I'm not doing anything!" I look at them, shocked.

"You're being pretty." They smirk.

I feel my face heating up. "Shut up."

A/N: Posting this early on in the day because I'll be out the rest of the night (and probs morning). Happy Friday y'all!