Chapter 19

Chapter Song: Underwater by RÜFÜS DU DOL

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"Alex, please."

Alex looks at Zack in horror knowing what he's asking for.

"What's going on? What's wrong?" Sarah asks in panic, her eyes darting between Alex and her brother.

Hearing his sister crying beside him was more excruciating than the pain surging through his body. He couldn't look at her. He knew seeing her pain would be his actual end. And so Zack keeps his eyes on Alex, hoping to borrow some of their strength even just for a while.

"I don't want to end up like them." The memory of his parents flashes through his mind as another jolt of pain runs through him. "I want to be with Him. Or Her. Or Them." Zack manages to let out a weak chuckle.

"I can't. Don't ask me to do this, Zack. Not again." The pain Alex was feeling right now could equate to what Zack was feeling.

"Please." Zack begs. But a smile begins to form on his face as he accepts his fate.

"No. Anyone else but me." Alex was frightened. Frightened at what was being asked of them. Frightened of the memories of all the other times they had to kill a loved one. They didn't know how many more they could take.

"You're the only one who can do it."

"No, I'm not. The others—" Alex looks frantically at Sarah but the thought quickly leaves their mind. They would never wish this upon anyone else.

"You're the only one strong enough... Please."

"I'm not. I'm not strong."

"Please."

A storm fills Alex's mind.

Their heart felt like drowning.

Then a warmth breaks through the cold and calms them. Sarah holds their hand softly as the other clutches onto her brother's. Zack finally looking at his sister, a smile shared between them.

Hands were placed on each of Alex's shoulders, lending strength and assurance that they were not alone.

Alex takes one breath in as Zack releases his last.

A/N: Apologies for this chapter and apologies for the late updates.