4

14.

I was 14 years old when my grandmother sent me to the 'Metalbending Academy for the Youth.' It was a boarding school for... You guessed it, metalbending youth. Not everyone could decide to go just because they wanted to. You have to be an incredible metalbender with an immense amount of potential. It was a long and tedious process, but I did it, I made it- Of course I did. My bending was always so important to me despite what you might think, and I wanted to be the best.

My grandfather had passed, my grandmother was sad, and she was growing older. Her plans of raising me as her own, and mentoring me to be the best metalbender I can be was something she decided she didn't want anymore. She didn't want to be responsible for me, but of course she couldn't just send me back to Ba Sing Se. What would people think? What would Suyin Beifong, her friend of the highest status think? My parents didn't want me back, they didn't know how to raise a teenager. My father was living his life and was much happier. Sure he was trapped in a loveless marriage, but at least he didn't have to take care of some kid anymore. My grandmother was terrified of losing her reputation, so what did she do? She shipped me off to boarding school.

It was all so perfect. I stay at this school, I go home to grandmother only once a month, and I leave for Ba Sing Se during the summers. Problem solved! She didn't have to see me or worry about my everyday routine. 'Did I eat today?' 'Did I do my lessons?' Most importantly, 'did I train today?' Her worries were all taken care of.

Boarding school was... Honestly not that bad. I know, I know, it sounds like an awful situation, but I liked it. I got to metalbend all day with my new friends without my grandmother barking orders at me, and I could make mistakes and be taught how to fix them in a way I could comprehend. Don't get me wrong, my masters were still strict, some kids were still mean, but it was nothing compared to being surrounded by my family 24/7. After those 8 hours were over, I was free to do whatever I wanted in my quarters. It was the freedom my grandfather always wanted for me, and I liked it. Most importantly, I met people who were just like me. I knew who to trust, and I appreciated my time with them because I knew it wouldn't last forever. I knew that after we graduated, they'd leave Zaofu and start their lives, and I'd probably never see them again.

...

18.

When I met Kitty, my world was turned upside down. I had finally met my match, and it made me... I don't even know! When I was offered my position as spy in Republic City under President Raiko, I was nervous. I had never been to Republic City before. My plan was to meet with the President, and after my tasks were given, I'd go back to Zaofu until it was time to leave with Kuvira. That way I didn't have to stay long and nothing could go wrong. Then Kitty showed up.

I had heard stories about her. She had sound too good to be true. I admit, she humbled me. Three years ago vs. now, I was a totally different person. She broke me in the best way possible. The moment the Earth Queen died, I would've never guessed that that would've been the beginning of everything.

...

"Jade, code black!" One of the other guards call.

I never would've thought in a million years I'd hear those words again. This is what I was trained for, but that doesn't make it any less terrifying. The only time I've heard of a code black was when the Avatar was abducted in her quarters. I had just graduated from the Academy and was in the middle of my training. Suyin promised me when I was a little girl that I had a job waiting for me when I graduated. I worked hard and graduated at the top of my class, and Suyin of course kept her promise.

...She also promised me a spot on her dance team. However, that did not last long. Turns out, I am a terrible dancer! I have two left feet!