25

A/n Regular font will be present Jade narrating. Italics will be flashbacks.

...

14.

"After your mom caught us kissing in your room, she dragged me back to my house. She wanted to speak to my mother."

Sarai kissed me,  Sarai actually kissed me, we kissed! And it was perfect. I had my doubts, but it's so clear to me now, Sarai does like me. I don't know why her mom is so mad, it's not like I planned for this to happen. She kissed me, so of course I kissed her back, and I liked it.

Sarai's mom grasps my arm tightly as she knocks on my front door. Father probably isn't home, he's never home. My mother answers the door, she looks confusingly at Sarai's mother.

"I didn't think my mother would care. She never cared about anything I did. When your mom told her what we did, she looked at me like I was the most disgusting thing on the planet."

"Sariyah, what's going on? Did Jade do something wrong?"

Sariyah, Jade's mother, walks inside and drags me along with her. Mother won't care, she doesn't care about anything. I mean, Sarai's mom talks to her all the time, and she never yells at Sarai to be quiet. It's different here at my house.

"Listen, I know Jade and Sarai have grown close over the past few months, but I draw the line at kissing. They are 14 years old, and I think-"

"Kissing?" My mothers says stunned. "Jade, you kissed Sarai?"

"Yes- well no, she kissed me," I try to explain.

"I know the girls like each other, but they're too young to-"

My mother looks at me. Her face turns red, I almost don't recognize her. I don't understand, Grandmother and grandfather use to kiss all the time, and I've seen mother kiss father before.

"Sarai is a girl, and you're a girl- What on earth has gotten into you?!" She yells at me.

"I-"

"How dare you!" She screams. "How can you embarrass your family like this?! What's your father gonna say?- oh god, your grandmother. She's going to be furious! What were you thinking? I didn't raise you like this!-"

"The irony in her statement, she didn't raise me. As horrible as she was, my grandmother raised me. My own mother gave me away when I was 5, and she was only a part time mom during the summers, yet I loved her. I never in a million years thought she would be so furious with me. She never cared about anything I did, and seeing her so enraged and so worried about her image scared me. Your mom tried to protect me. She didn't care that we were two girls kissing, she was just worried that we were moving to fast. Before I came out to the Beifong's, your mom was the only one who accepted me and tried to protect me from the wrath of my family."

I look at Sarai's mom pleadingly. She looks at my mother horrifyingly. I wish I could go back to her home. I've never seen mother like this before. She's never gotten this mad, not even with father or grandmother.

"Julia, I think you're misunderstanding,"Sariyah tells her.

My mother continues to yell at me. She's going on and on about what grandmother will say, and how grandmother's rich friends can't find out about this, about me liking girls. She's saying words I've never heard her say before. Curse words fly out of her mouth rapidly. She grabs my wrists and shakes my arm furiously.

"But mother!" I plead.

I shrink back, and I bump into Sariyah. She grabs my mother's hand and frees me from her grasps. She gently places me behind her.