7

3 years ago; Book 4

I never forgot Sarai. Our story was cut short, and it ended tragically. For years all I wanted was to reconnect with her and live a happy life together... But now, I'd do things differently. I liked her a lot, I never knew that I could care for someone so much until her. She was kind, she was soft, and she was fun. And if I were to reunite with her again, I wouldn't confess my love for her, and we wouldn't run away together. That chapter of our lives are closed. What I would do, is thank her...

Because now I know how to treat Kitty, if she'd ever give me the time of day. I'm not sweet as pie like Sarai, or soft spoken and want to be a princess, and I've been told I'm stubborn, but I know how to be there for Kitty. I know how to treat someone you love, and I have to thank Sarai for that.

Kitty and I didn't start off on the greatest foot. Like I told you, she was unbelievable. She is talent, she is brains, she is strong, she could get along with anyone, she has the wittiest of comebacks, and she's so funny. Now does that sound real to you? And despite everyone treating her like crap, she wakes up everyday ready to save the world.

...

I sit patiently waiting for President Raiko to call me into his office. I thought I knew all I needed to know about about this mission, that is until President Raiko told me about this partner- I know, I can't believe it either. He's got to be kidding me. If I knew I'd be assigned a partner, I would have never agreed to this. This is Kuvira and Baatar Jr. we're talking about. I grew up with them, who's more qualified for this mission than me?

"President Raiko will be with you in just a moment," the office assistant tells me.

"Thank you," I tell her.

What is taking them so long? Is he breefing them on the situation now? Why couldn't he have done this a week ago?

I notice the office assistant laughing with two other employees. Something weird is going on. Everyone seems different since the last time I was here. I don't know, the entire environment seems lighter, like people are in a really good mood- which is weird because I've met Raiko and he's insufferable.

The three women leave the room and I may or may not have followed them. And when I say may or may not, I really mean... I did. They go into the break room and I place my ear to the door. This is not what I was trained to do, but I need to know what's going on here.

"Doesn't she have her own statue in front of the Southern Water Tribe Cultural center?" I hear one of them ask.

"I don't think so, wasn't that place blown up by Varrick?" The other asks.

"It was rebuilt, but her and her sister were kicked out of Republic City," the office assistant corrects.

'Wait, are they talking about-'

"So why in the world is she working with President Raiko?"

Oh no, they're talking about the Avatar's sister. You know, I've heard all the stories, I've done my research, and I'm not buying it. You're telling me that the Avatar's sister is better than the actual Avatar?

Sure.

I decide to head back to my seat. Ok, so this girl has history with Suyin, just like me. She is supposedly an amazing fighter, like me, and she gets along with Kuvira and Baatar Jr, like me. I hate to admit it, but she might be qualified for the job... But that doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on her! She might sound qualified for the job, but I still have my doubts. This girl's father is chief of the Southern Water Tribe, her cousins run the north, and she lives with Master Tenzin, who's father is the previous Avatar and his mother is Master Katara. How do we know they didn't just tell people she can airbend and waterbend? What if she's lying and she got all of these world leaders to cosign her lies?