13

I place another moist towelette over Kitty's forehead. I haven't slept, I've barely eaten, and I haven't gathered any information for Raiko. I'm trying to stay positive, I'm trying to help her, but I'm afraid what Kitty needs is something that I can't give her. No matter how hard I try, I just can't, and it kills me inside.

When Kuvira told the Beifong's about her plan to take Zaofu by force, everyone was upset with Kitty. Excuse my language, but what the f*ck? If I didn't respect Suyin and her kids like I do, I would have taken om all of them. How dare they! Kitty and I are the reason Kuvira hasn't been able to take over the Earth Kingdom fully yet. If it weren't for Kitty being the voice of reason, Kuvira would've forcefully taken over the entire country 6 months into her travels. They should be thanking her that Kuvira didn't attack sooner. We've done everything to keep this from happening, and yet it seems like no one is using their brain to figure out what we're doing here. Of course I'd never work for Kuvira, you'd think they know me better than that, you'd think they'd know Kitty better than that.

"I brought you some food," Bolin says as he enters the room.

He closes the door quietly and looks at Kitty who lays there peacefully. He sighs. I know this is hard for him. To see your best friend go through something and knowing there is nothing you can do about it. I know how he feels because that's how I feel. It sucks, as Kitty would say.

"I'm not hungry," I tell him.

"Please, Jade. For me... For Kitty," he begs me.

"Fine," I give in.

"It's nice that you're taking such good care of her, she'd appreciate it," he says.

"Of course I am. She almost died, and she'd do the same for me."

"You know, Kitty is my best friend, and yet she treats you differently," he starts. "She's stubborn, yet you seem to get through to her. It's like, you know what she's going to say before it even comes out of her mouth."

"Yeah, well, that's how friends are," I sigh.

"No, Kitty and I are friends. I love her to death, but we could never date, trust me. You two are like the koi fish."

"Koi fish?" I ask confusingly.

"Yeah, like the ones at the North Pole. Yin and Yang, Tui and La. You're dark, she's light. Polar opposites, but when one of you are out of balance, so is the other. It's like when that moon slayer dude killed one of them, and then the other didn't know what to do. You know what I'm talking about."

I look at him confusingly. In his own Bolin sort of way, it makes sense, and I actually get it.

"How do you know that, Bolin?" I ask him.

"I use to read Jinora's books when me and my brother stayed on Air Temple Island," he answers proudly.

"Hm, good to know..."

"My point is," he continues.  "You love Kitty, and Kitty loves you."

"Yeah, she loves me, but as a friend."

"No," he corrects. "Kitty loves me just like she loves Korra, Kitty had a crush on Mako, but she LOVES you. We've had a lot conversations, and she may have a hard time with words, and she's still figuring herself out, but she cares about you, and not like she cares about her friends. Look, I know you're scared, but you need to be honest with yourself and with Kitty. What's going to happen when you're old and gray and you're on your deathbed, and all you can think about is how you didn't go for it? How Kitty will go forever without ever knowing that you are and have always been madly in love with her?"