27

My heart is pounding. I didn't grow up in Republic City, Bolin did, and Kitty moved here when she was a kid herself. I grew up in Zaofu where I was privileged to be trained by the best, to know how to handle every situation, and we stopped some really bad people from harming our city. Kuvira isn't the first to try to take over Zaofu, but she's the first to succeed... And we're going to get it back. My point is, I want Republic city to be ok. It means a lot to a lot people, just like how Zaofu means a lot to me. I fought hard for Zaofu, now it's Republic City's turn.

I take a deep breath in. Ok, Jade, as much as I dread going out there and seeing all of the chaos and destruction, I need to make sure my friends are ok. Opal is out there with the other airbenders assisting Korra, and Bolin and Kitty are out there fighting for their lives, it's personal for them, for all of them. I know they're giving it their all.

3,2,1...

My breath is caught in my throat. When I opened the door, I'm immediately overwhelmed. I knew it was going to be bad, but this... This is a disaster. I take a step outside. It's a blessing that the station is still standinag. The spirits were definitely on our side. The crunch of glass and rubble sound under my feet with every step I take. It smells like fire. The city that once stood has collapsed. I look around in horror. The ground under my feet still moving.

"Is this what you wanted!?" I scream out in pure rage.

It makes no sense. Kuvira wanted Zaofu, she took down our domes- the domes is what made Zaofu what it is. She wanted Republic City, and she's completely destroyed it. She didn't unite anyone. She destroyed our homes and crushed our spirits. A feeling of dread quickly rushes over me. It takes my breath away. I kneel to the ground. Kitty, I have to find Kitty. Kuvira is dealing with a lot of spirit energy. I start running towards the vibrations, but I slow down seeing as the atmosphere completely changes. I look around curiously.

What's going on?

A purple energy starts to radiate all around, and it's warm. I remember this. The same thing happened to the world when Kitty's crazy uncle fused with Vaatu during Harmonic Convergence. The ground begins to violently shake. Asami suddenly comes into view. My face flushes as I see a large purple gleam coming straight towards us. I stand quickly and run to her. I grab her hand and we rush for safety. We take refuge in a stair well.

I grab Asami and protect her from the rubble that falls around us. That energy... it's so bright, I can't even look at it. Despite taking shelter, the blast is still so strong. The two of us scream for what seems like an eternity.

...

Senior year.

"Jade, sit down," my grandmother says, her eyes never leaving her newspaper.

I do as I'm told and sit down quietly. Today is the first day of winter break. School is out, and I'm done with my quarterly review. I should be happy that I'm home, that I finally get a break... That's not the case anymore. Since the passing of my grandfather, it just hasn't been the same. This house is cold, grandmother is cold. I don't mind school. I'm a metalbender, I'm in my element. Just like grandmother, my teachers can be a lot- uptight, harsh, but they know what they're talking about- they're masters, and I appreciate their expertise. On the contrast, my grandmother is not a master. She doesn't know anything about metalbending because she is isn't an earthbender- she can't bend at all. Yet she has the most to say, the most critism.

"Hello, grandmother."

"You've completed your exams," she states, still not looking at me.

"I did, I got the highest grade in my class," I state proudly. "Almost a perfect score."

"Almost?" My grandmother asks, finally looking at me, with a raised eyebrow. "Almost isn't good enough."