23

8.

"Jade," I hear my grandmother call from her bedroom.

"Coming."

I leave my room and head to hers. I say hello to my grandfather who lays peacefully on his bed. Grandfather has a special medical bed because he is sick. He can't talk anymore, he can't move much, and he needs help with everything. When I'm not training, my job is to get him everything he needs. I feed him, I make sure his radio is on the right stations, and we talk- well, I talk. He can only make sounds, but we don't really know what they mean. Grandmother says he had something called a stroke. I love my grandfather, but I miss how he used to be. I miss his jokes, I miss our walks, and I miss how he use to make my grandmother happy, because back then she was a lot nicer to me.

"Yes, grandmother?" I ask her as I stand in front of her bed.

"How was the party yesterday?" She asks without taking her eyes off her newspaper.

Yesterday was Baatar Jrs. birthday. His mother invited me to his birthday party. He didn't really want me there, but that's ok. I got to see Opal and her little brother's, and we played with her toys. There was a giant cake and so many fun games.

"And you behaved well? No candy, no sweets?" She asks.

"Well Suyin Beifong gave me a small slice of birthday cake, but that's it."

She lowers her newspaper and takes off her glasses. She looks at me. Uh oh, I might've done something bad.

"What did I tell you about the sweets?" She asks. "I let you have the day off from your training and this is what you do? You disobey your grandmother?"

"I'm sorry. Suyin said that'd it be ok to have a tiny piece, that it wouldn't hurt," I try to explain.

"You know the rules. Suyin Beifong does not know what's best for you, she is not your mother!"

I don't understand. She's not my mother either, she's just my grandmother. My parents are in Ba Sing Se.

"I am adding a week to your training, starting tomorrow," she continues.

"A week? But- but I'm suppose to go home to see mother, I leave in two days," I tell her.

"You should've thought of that before you disobeyed me. I don't know why you want to return to that place any way. Ba Sing Se is filled with nobodies, including your parents. This is your home, this is where you reside. I am the only one who cares about you, who knows what's best for you. Now, we need to get you back on track. You know sweets are not apart of your regiment."

"But- but-"

My face is hot. I can feel as my eyes start to water and tears drip down my face. I'm not allowed to cry, but I can't help it. I want to go home. I miss Ba Sing Se, and this place hasn't been the same since grandfather fell ill. Grandmother was never nice, but it's like she's gotten meaner.

"Stop with the crying!" She yells.

I flinch. I look at grandfather, I watch as is eyes dart back and forth between us until he stops at me. He can't say anything, he can't speak up for me like he use to, but I really wish he could...

"Grandmother-" I try again.

"Get out."

I bow my head in shame and quietly walk out of the room. This isn't fair, all the other kids at the party got to eat whatever they wanted. How come I can't? And Suyin is my godmother, she said it was ok. Sometimes I wish grandmother would just go away.