22

...

2 years ago

It's been a long day. Kitty is sick and I've been taking care of her. Any normal day I wouldn't mind missing out from working with Kuvira and Baatar Jr. who is god awful.. Only Kitty has been driving me up the wall all day. She's winey, and when she's not sleeping, she's calling me for help. I'm starting to hate the sound of my own name!

Even though I'm exhausted and would love nothing more than for Kitty to be quiet and stop calling me for five seconds, I can't just leave her to fight this by herself. I'm trying to be a better friend to her and Bolin, and a part of being a good friend is helping them when they can't help themselves. So while Bolin takes over Kitty's tasks for the week, I am taking care of her and helping her get better. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bolin and I make a really great team.

"Jade!"

"Coming, Kitty..."

I sigh as I get ready to go to her room. I am so tired, but luckily it's nighttime and Kitty will hopefully fall asleep soon.

"Yes?" I ask her.

"Can I have some water?" She asks in a small voice.

I go over to the pitcher of water and pour her a cup. I pause to cough. Yikes, it's a bit chilly in here- Which is surprising because it's summer. I'm actually shivering, and my nose is runny.

"Are you ok?" Kitty asks.

"I'm fine, just a cough," I assure her.

"You're pale and your nose is red," she observes.

"Oh, I guess it is."

"Come here, let me feel your forehead."

"Kitty, I'm not sick," I laugh.

"Jade, come here now," she commands.

I grunt, but I walk over to her anyway. She places her hand on my forehead. This is so annoying. Me, sick? Impossible. So I have a cough, so my throat is a bit scratchy, so what if I have chill? That does not mean I'm sick.

"You have a fever."

Sh*t.

"Come on," she continues as she pats the space on her bed next to her. "Lay down, you're sick."

"I am not-"

"Yes you are, now lay," she commands yet again.

I roll my eyes, but I do as she says. I never imagined this is how I'd end up in Kitty's bed, but here we are. Ugh, this is a nightmare. Last time I was sick, grandmother was furious. After I got better, she made me practice until my fingertips bled and I had charlie horses in both my legs. I knew then that I could never get sick again, at least not to the point where I had to stop my training. If my grandmother could see me now...

Kitty turns over to face me. She looks at me for a second, and I her. She is so pretty- no, she's beautiful, inside and out. To think, everyone has been so awful to her, to us, and yet she just takes it. They don't deserve her. Ok, so what they think she's working for Kuvira? At least it's something. Avatar Korra is on vacation, Bolin's brother is some glorified butler for the future Earth King, and that dude Von has always been completely useless. Her and Bolin are the only ones who are actually trying to make things better, even Asami Sato who's housing Bolin's relatives after having to flee Ba Sing Se. The mist judgemental ones in thus entire situation aren't doing sh*t

"I'm sorry I got you sick," Kitty says softly.

"It's ok."

"Do you think Bolin can handle both of our tasks this week?" She asks.