18

Operation Beifong... Sorta?

...

Don't tell Kitty, but I love being here at her apartment. Having a roommate again reminds me of  my time at the Academy where I shared a dorm with three other girls. Those are the nice memories, it was during a time where I didn't have my parents or my grandmother constantly expecting me to be a certain way. I dealt with mean and strict instructors, sure, but at least I got a break. At least I could go on with my life after classes were over. My grandmother was everyday all day.

I was going to stay at a hotel while I'm here in Republic City, but of course Kitty wouldn't allow that. This is nice, I've never had a girlfriend before. And I don't mean girlfriend as in 'dating,' or 'significant other.' I mean a friend who I can relate to, a friend who I know I can talk to and feel comfortable in doing so. I guess I can consider Bolin as my 'girlfriend' as well. In all seriousness, it's nice to have friends.

"Hey, Kitty," I call for her. "Thanks for letting me stay here at your apartment. I thought I'd have to stay in a hotel while I'm here."

"You don't have to thank me. You'd do the same for me."

I would.

"Well still," I say instead. "I just want you to know that I'm very thankful"

"Of course. So, um, I was meaning to talk to you about something."

"What is it?" I ask her.

She's nervous. Uh oh, I hope this isn't about Mako. I know he apologized to her, and that's great, she deserved it... It's just, isn't it exhausting? All of this back and forth. Who's to say tomorrow he won't get back with Asami? Or hit on Korra? Kitty deserves better, and I wish she'd see that. I guess I'll never understand the appeal, or the hold this guy has over her.

"Well, Bolin and I are going to help Lin and Opal rescue Suyin and her family."

My heart begins to pound. I guess I'm just nervous. Nervous of facing Suyin and her family again, nervous that getting them out will push Kuvira over the edge, and nervous that my friends are doing this suicide mission. I want nothing more for Opal to get her family back, I just hope that Raiko's army is strong enough to take on spirit energy.

"Are you serious? Um, well, let me get my stuff. We need to go-"

"Jade, Jade, listen," she says cutting me off. "I need you to stay here."

"What, why? You don't want me to go? I know we've been spending a lot of time together, but-"

"No, no, that's not it," she says cutting me off again. "I'd love for you to go, but I need you to stay here.. To watch over my sister."

"Your sister's the Avatar, why would you need me to watch over her?" I ask her confused.

She seemed to do fine during her 3 year vacation.

"I've watched over my sister since we were children, and because of recent events, I need to make sure she's safe... Because you know, everything that's happening with Kuvira..."

Oh, please!

"Are you sure it's not because you're worried about her, but you're to stubborn to admit you've been avoiding her?" I ask with a smirk.

"Noooo... I'm not avoiding her."

I only look at her. She's so full of it. She's obviously worried about Korra, that's her sister, and I get it. I mean, I don't care too much for Korra for obvious reasons, but Kitty can't go through her entire life refusing to call her out. Korra was gone for three years and left her Avatar duties for Kitty, I'd be angry, too! All I'm saying is, Kitty needs to get angry, she needs to cry, she needs to tell Korra how crappy she is, she needs to be honest with herself before it kills her- ya know, again.