32

2 Weeks After the Fall of Kuvira

The protest for Kitty went great. Everything I've ever dreamed of for her, really. Though it was devastating that we didn't find her, on a different note, Raiko lifted the boarders. He was fuming when he saw everyone, including his own army and staff, marching and chanting to bring Kitty home, but once he seen how many people were against him, he had no other choice but to change his mind. We were broadcasted all across the world, which brought the attention of world leaders. I owe everything to Sarai and her husband, Jon. Sarai organized that whole event within a matter of hours, and Jon  got it broadcasted to every news outlet, and even risked putting his job in jeopardy. It was everything Kitty deserved, and I can't wait to tell her about the entire thing. She's going to love hearing about Raiko being totally humiliated in front of everybody.

"Jade!" Bolin exclaims as he burst into the room. "Why aren't you getting dressed? We're suppose to be heading to the venue soon."

"I'm not going to that stupid wedding," I say bitterly as I lace up my boots.

Today Varrick and Zhu Li are getting married. Everyone is going to be at that wedding instead of going out searching for Kitty, and it makes me furious. Everyone is using tonight to act like everything is normal, when in reality, it's not! Kuvira destroyed the city, there are still millions displaced not just because of the mass destruction due to Kuvira's mecha giant, but also because of the new portal that stands right in the middle of Republic City. Kuvira is locked up, but she still gets to live and breath. She has a place to stay, free food, and a bed! People got hurt, people died, people lost their homes, it's not fair.

"But you have to go," Bolin whines. "I'm officiating the wedding, and do you see these pit stains? I'm a nervous wreck! I can't do this without you."

His eye are glossy as he pokes out his bottom lip. Ugh, I guess he's right, I should be there for him. He's my friend, too. I've just been so focused on finding Kitty, everyday without her feels like torture... But regardless, I need to be there for Bolin, too.

"Ok," I give in. "I'll be there, but I'm still going into that portal. I'll be back before the ceremony."

"I know you're still bummed that we haven't found Kitty- Believe me, I get it. But the protest, it was still a good day, we made progress. Raiko lifted the boarders, and now we're back on track with the search."

I don't say anything. I just sit here silently on my bed. I'm glad we all finally put our foot down and was able to override Raiko's stupid decision. It's just, we took Kuvira down, things were suppose to get better.

"Jade, what's wrong?" he asks as he takes a seat next to me. "You were so happy at the protest. You were hopeful again, we both were."

He won't stop hounding me about this until I tell him. Bolin is so in touch with his feelings, but it's hard for me. Almost my entire life has been revolved around earthbending and metalbending. My grandmother was so dedicated into molding me into this master metalbender that I wasn't allowed anything else, and the one time I was able to go home during my summer break with my parents, they didn't care. They didn't care about me or how I felt. I was never allowed to show any kind of emotion. It didn't matter if I was sad, mad, hurt, or sick, I was forced to be an emotionless being just like my grandmother. Sarai's mom was the only one who truly let me express myself. And then my mother and my grandmother took that away from me.

"... I got a letter from my grandmother today," I tell him quietly. I simply hand him the letter. "You can read it if you want..."

He grabs the envelope and gently takes out the letter.

"Dear, Jade-"

"Not out loud," I cut him off.

He nods and starts reading silently. I've already read it. Three times, to be exact. It wasn't her telling me how happy she was I'm alive after being held hostage by Kuvira and Baatar Jr, it's not her wishing Kitty a safe return, and it's definitely not her telling me how much she's missed me. It's four pages of her telling me how much of a disgrace I am. Four pages of her telling me how much I've ruined the family name. Four pages of her telling me how disappointed my grandfather would be if he were here. Four pages of her telling me how I ruined Kitty's life and corrupted her. To her, I am the reason Kitty is missing, I am the reason the world is doomed because I stopped the almighty Kuvira from "saving" the Earth Kingdom. My grandmother has never truly liked me, I figured that out at a young age. And yet, her actually telling me in bold print, from her pen, that she is disowning me... It's different. It makes me furious, and yet I also feel a lingering sadness.

Bolin looks at me, his face red. He's angry. Bolin never really gets mad, it takes a lot to get him to that point, this is a first. He looks at the letter one last time before he rips it apart and tosses it to the floor.

"She doesn't deserve you," he starts.

"Bolin-"

I love him, but I can't do the speeches right now. I don't feel like an involuntary therapy session, I don't feel like the "how are you feeling?" questions today. I just want to get this day over with so I can forget about it tomorrow.

"No," he cuts me off. "She doesn't deserve you, she never has. I know she hurt your feelings, I know you're sad, but it's time to let her go. Family is suppose to support you, they're suppose to love you and be there for you no matter what. She may be blood related, but she's not your family- me and Kitty are. And even though you don't particularly like him, so is Mako- and Korra and Asami- and Pabu! You made your own family."

I made my own family...

His words resonate with me. I've never fully let go of my grandmother. I always thought about her, I always
thought that despite whatever we have going on, she's still my family, but we're not. She disowned me... Finally.

I wipes the small tear that threatens to fall from my eye.

"I made my own family," I say quietly. "When did you get so smart?"

"I don't know," he says. "It kinda hurts."

We both laugh.

"I hate this. I hate crying," I tell him half jokingly.

"Let's go look for Kitty."

"What about the wedding?" I remind him.

"We still have a few hours."

...

Bolin and I approach the portal. I can see the abandoned  barriers from here. It's about time. It's a sweet reminder that Raiko didn't get his way.

"Are you ready?" I ask Bolin.

"Of course."

...

Bolin and I have been searching the Spirit World for a few hours now. We have to leave for the wedding soon.  And no, we didn't find Kitty. It's heartbreaking, but I'm still hopeful. Raiko removing the barriers was just the beginning, we have to find her. We've been through too much these last few weeks, it's time for some good news.

"We should get going soon, we don't want to miss your big wedding day debut," I tell him optimistically.

"Not yet, just a few more minuets," he pleads.

"Sure," I agree.

It's not like I'm in any rush to get to the wedding. I'm only going for Bolin. I just think Varrick and Zhu Li could've gotten married after we fixed the city that was almost completely obliterated off the face of the earth by a giant robotic suit, but at the end of the day, it's their choice.

"Kiiiiiiittttty!" Bolin shouts.

We both continue to look around, but nothing.

"Kiiiiiiitttttty!" I yell.

Bolin and I look at each other worryingly. I guess we just have to try again later. We both sigh and turn around back to the portal.

"Bolin?" I hear a faint voice call.

Bolin and I stop in our tracks. We look at each other, our eyes huge.

"Kiiiitty!!" Bolin shouts.

We slowly turn around and creep our way further into the Spirit World again. My heart is pounding. I don't want to get my hopes up. It sounds just like her, but what if it's not? What if it's a spirit? I eye the hill that sits not far away from us.

"Bolin! Jade!" I hear faintly.

My heart skips a beat seeing a small figure come into view. Bolin gasps, and my heart seems to skip a beat.

"Kitty?"

...