CHAPTER 14: Gamble

Ei's POV:

Living on my own... It's a difficult task. For me, at least. I don't even know the basics of cooking. But don't laugh... I burned the egg. Sasayuri arrived just in time when he saw the burning egg on the pan. He assisted me in preparing my breakfast. It's a relief to have him here; otherwise, I may be burning down Ayaka's house right now.

"You may have burnt down the house if I hadn't come sooner," Sasayuri joked. He is not mistaken. "I'll never try cooking again," I replied, and he chuckled. "So... Miko's your friend," he said. "Yes," I said.

"It's surprising that your so-called friend is my nephew," he said, and I choked up. "Y-your nephew? Miko?" I inquired. "Yes, that's the one I'm matching you up with, but you decline," he smirked. "I-i see. Well, I'm glad I declined since it would be awkward for us because we attend to the same school and... we're friends," I responded.

"Well, in my perspective, Ms. Ei," he chuckled, "you two look good together." We... do we look good together? "Nonsense, Mr. Sasayuri; your nephew is nothing more than a friend of mine," I said. Yes, that's all. I don't want to fall in love because it hurt me in the past, from what I know from my blurry memories.

A/N: Ei means she was hurt back then, based on her memories, which means she doesn't recall what occurred but felt the pain.

"I understand. Well, then, please take care of my Miko. She's... sort of difficult to deal with. You never know what she'll do, after all, she got that from her mother. Like a fox, cunning, devious, unpredictable," he laughed. I can see it in Miko's eyes. Her eyes are like those of a fox, or kitsune in our language.

"You speak fondly of them, Mr. Sasayuri," I pointed out. "Of course, they're the only ones I love left in this cruel world. Her mother is my sister, I'm the older brother, we had it rough when we were young, but enough about that, we survived that dreadful past and here we are. Alive and well. Miko came, she's my ball of sunshine. I treat her like my own daughter," he said, smiling. "And... her father?" I inquired, which elicited a brief silence from him. I think I asked the wrong question.

"He left them when my sister became pregnant," he said, his eyes darkened. "Please accept my apologies for asking," I said. "It's okay, Ms. Ei," he responded, smiling again and finishing his meal, as did I.

"I'll see you at the car, Ms. Ei," he said as he walked outside. 

Not Ei's POV:

You will soon find out who Miko really is, Ei.  Sasayuri thought.

Ei's POV:

I then prepared myself, my clothing, and my things for school. As soon as I'm finished. I got outside with Sasayuri, and we headed to school.

Miko's POV:

Going to school every day is a pain. All I want to do is read some books. Can I skip class and go to the library instead? That, in my view, is a bad idea.

"You're sighing heavily, Miko," Hu Tao noticed. "All I want to do is skip class and read Citrus," I explained. "Oh, that girl x girl book? I already finished it," smirked Hu Tao. Oh, this blasted girl is going to spoil it. "Don't spoil me, or I'll warn Yanfei not to come near you," I snarled. She pouted and went back to what she was doing, which was playing on her phone.

"What's the class today?" Lumine inquired. Sara replied, "Chemistry." Oh, chemistry, what a fantastic way to start the day. There are 15 minutes till the start of the lesson. God, time can't get much faster.

Let's just take a quick nap. Just a quick... nap.

*

I woke up by a sound of... someone talking to me and poking my side.