Chapter 33 - The Formula

"Shuri, what do you mean you used my blood?" Bucky asked, demanding for an explanation.

"Well, do you remember when I helped you erase the Winter Soldier programming from your brain?" Shuri asked.

"Of course!" Bucky answered, as if he was going to forget it.

"Well..do you remember that I took samples of your blood?" Shuri continued asking.

"Hmm..yeah..I do..you told me you needed to take them so you could study more about how the super soldier serum affected my brain." Bucky said, recollecting the times Shuri took samples of his blood.

"Yes! Exactly! Well..I may have kept some samples of your blood and used them to create this healing formula." Shuri said carefully..studying Bucky's face as she said it.

"What!? Why didn't you tell me? Aren't you supposed to ask me first before doing anything like that using my blood?" Bucky said, his tone high.

"I'm sorry Bucky. I know I should've asked you. But you weren't..hmm.. mentally stable back then. I didn't know how you would react to that." Shuri said, trying to justify her decision.

Bucky sighed. There was no use in getting angry at Shuri. He needed her help anyway.

"Okay, fine, I'll take it. Does it work?" Bucky asked, his eyes hopeful.

"Yes it does! I've tested it on several soldiers when they were wounded after the last fight with some rebels." She said excitedly.

"Okay, that's good. So, can we use it on Adriana?" Bucky asked.

"I think so..but Bucky.. there's a side effect from using the formula. I haven't been able to mitigate it." Shuri replied, looking a little anxious as she waited to see how Bucky would react to that little information.

"Side effect? What kind of side effect?" Bucky asked, his eyebrows raised.

"Well..you know how the super soldier serum enhanced you physically? Basically turning your body's cells and metabolism so that you're physically stronger, can heal faster and age slower?" Shuri asked.

"Where are you going with this Shuri?" Bucky asked, pinching the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache coming on.

"Well, the side effect of the formula is that the subject will not just heal faster but also will be stronger physically and age slower." Shuri said again slowly.

"What?! You mean to tell me that the subject becomes a super soldier? Is that it Shuri?" Bucky asked, raising his voice a little.

"Umm..yes.." Shuri said, looking down in shame.

"I can't believe it! What makes you think you can just go around making super soldier serum, using my blood to boot!" Bucky was fully angry now.

"I'm sorry Bucky. I assure you my intention was only to create a healing formula, not a super soldier formula. But like I said, I haven't been able to change it so that its effects are only limited to the healing part." Shuri tried to explain.

"Shuri..do you have any idea what this means? I mean..if people know about this..wait..who else knows about this?" Bucky asked, his brain trying to connect pieces of information together and he just realized something significant.

"Umm..me..and some of my lab assistants. And of course, the soldiers I tried this on." She said.

"Shuri..I'm sorry..but I have to ask. Have you been helping The Flag Smashers?" Bucky finally asked.

"What?! No! Why would I help them?" Shuri commented, clearly offended by Bucky's accusation.

"What makes you think I've been helping them, Bucky?" Shuri asked.