Chapter 6

Liz's POV

I'm currently sulking in my art class after Jared just gave me the worst headache I think I've ever had this whole past week that he's been trying to play 'boyfriend'. My head feels like there's a pounding right behind my eyes making the lights more irritating and a throbbing just inside my ears. What doesn't help is having Marisa and Emily make jokes about my 'date' with Jared and his friend. I'm gonna make Leo pay big for this, I swear he's gonna wish he never talked me into this.

"I ain't ever heard Marisa laugh like that," Emily giggles clearly reminiscing.

I can feel Avery put her arm around on my back as I lean forward over my sketchpad. I relax into the soothing circles, her hand is tracing.

"What was so funny?" I ask sarcastically, wanting to move off this topic.

"About what you said," Marisa smirks, gesturing to me.

"What exactly did I say?" I glance at her, slightly rolling my eyes at her.

"Oh right, the thing about the monkeys," Avery chuckles. "Idiots in cages."

They all started chuckling to themselves again. I was getting more annoyed just thinking about his extremely punch able face and pushy attitude. I groan and drop my pencil, completely giving up trying to get anything done in this class.

"What's wrong kitten?" Avery whispers only for my ears.

"Nothing," I grumble with a slight pout.

"Come here," Avery puts a hand on my cheek and lightly guides me to rest my head against her chest, while she's still sitting sideways.

She runs her fingers through my hair lightly playing with my strands. I relax slowly into the warm feeling of her body against mine. I can hear her heartbeat, and it's actually faster than what I was expecting. I feel her put a little kiss on the top of my head, and I sigh in content for at least a moment until I'm reminded of him. Now that I think about it, Avery and Marisa have been comforting me quite a bit these past couple days, ever since Jared asked me out. But they are very different in how they go about it.

"How are you feeling?" Avery asks softly next to my ear. Her breath was warm against my neck so it gave me a slight shiver and goosebumps.

"That tickled," I pout.

"Oh uhm sorry," I could hear the smile in her voice.

After a few more minutes of just sitting in that position I move to sit normally and pack up all my art stuff along with everyone else. When the bell rang I was one of the first people up and out of that seat. There's no way I'm sticking around long enough for him to find me and try to force himself back into my current life.

I rush to my next class and then do the same thing with my last few classes. I noticed Avery in the hallway which was weird seeing as her classes aren't in my hall or she just has a free period. But she'd call out to me but all I gave her was a wave and kept racing off.

Finally the last bell rings and I race to get to the parking lot but right as I open the glass doors and feel a firm hand grab my wrist and I'm pulled backwards and I feel my body collide slightly with someone else's steadier frame and their arms encase me in a warm hug. When I smell the familiar scent and recognize that hoodie, I instantly relax. I hug Avery back and tuck my face deeper in the chest fabric of her hoodie.

"Hey so I know you're probably not in the mood but I have a game tomorrow and I'd love it if you watched," she said, almost sounding nervous.

"Volleyball game right?" I ask, already having been asked about this particular game earlier. I lean back to look at her face, which was now almost eye level from her being leaned over still hugging me.