Chapter 78

Avery's POV

I stood with my duffle over my shoulder with the rest of my team and coach, some of the cheer team was standing amongst us in their cheer jackets over their cheerleading uniforms. Only one other person stands amongst us who stands out dramatically. Marisa, in her baggy flannel and black cargo pants with clay stains and her doc martens. She stands with a book open next to me as we wait for that last head count before boarding the bus for our regional tournament. I look out at the crowd of students and try to find a certain redhead among the students going in for a normal school day. I take a deep breath as I hear Coach call out for that check in saying something about they're now boarding and if you aren't in a seat in the next ten minutes they're leaving without you.

I turn to Marisa who just closes her book and drops it in her bag before facing me. "Good luck and don't break a leg," She smirks.

"Ha ha, you're so original. You say that every year," I push her shoulder.

"I'll talk dad into driving out to the arena tomorrow," She shrugs. "Maybe I'll surprise you with some very hard to get German eye candy while I'm at it." She winks.

"I don't think she would even want to go seeing as she's ignoring me. Still," I mumble looking at my slip ons.

"You think too much," She pushes the side of my head.

"I've heard that one before," I say in a clipped tone.

"That's because you need to learn to get out of your head," I hear Lizzies voice from behind me.

I turn around and see Lizzie standing there in my varsity jacket and a wide smile. I drop my bag and rush to her in two steps wrapping my arms around her waist and lifting her into a spin feeling her instinctively grab around my neck onto my shoulders.

"I have missed you," I mumble into her neck as I put her back on her feet.

I take a deep breath and catch her vanilla scent and feel my body relax almost instantly. I nuzzle a little into her further. "I'm sorry you're probably still mad at me, but I just really need you right now." I mumble to her.

"Maus, your coach is calling for you," She says in a giggle.

"I don't care, I need you."

"Avery," She pulls back from me, forcing me to look at her. "Avery," She says again in a sing-song voice. "Kiss me."

I don't hesitate and bring my lips to hers and pull her into me more as I feel her hand run up the back of my neck pulling me into her more if that's even possible. I tilt my head a little and reconnect our lips again. I memorize her all over again.

She breaks us apart with a smile followed by hoots and cheers coming from the open bus windows. I glance to see my teammates crowding around the windows on our side. I roll my eyes at their intrusive stares.

"Sullivan get your ass in a seat now," Coach calls in a harsh tone but when I look at her she's smiling despite herself.

"That's my queue."

"We will talk later, but you need to focus on your game, or games. Bring home that trophy superstar," She smiles up at me.

I nod my head feeling my ears and cheeks getting hot. I grab my bag noticing Marisa is gone and walk over to the bus door where Coach is standing. I glance at Lizzie one last time before Coach grabs the back of my head and pushes me lightly into the bus and up the stairs.

"Let's get a moving lover bird, We can't exactly leave without our captain."

"Co-captain," Bri yells.