1.8

A few days later, we ended up in the suburbs in Georgia. This little mission was certain to be flawless because it was right up my alley, having grown up in a suburban town myself. We made the decision last minute when we made a stop for dinner to avoid Friday night traffic and Michael and somehow found out about a wealthy family who was staying at a vacation home nearby and had a computer system that was so surprisingly weak and unprotected that even I could hack into it.

And that was the plan. I was the most mediocre of us all. I didn't have the bright hair and the personality that gets people to wonder about you. I didn't have the charms and alluring pull people could ignore. And I wasn't over six feet tall. I would get into the house and get all the codes and stuff Michael needed to make the transfers from the account. It was simple. Easy.

At least until Luke screwed it up.

"I wanna go do it," he grumbled, folding his arms and practically pouting as Michael went over how to get into the system with me again.

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow at him. My question had two meanings, one questioning his desire to go out, and two questioning his grumpy and fidgety manner all day. He was moody all day, not necessarily as bad as he could be, but still annoying. I knew right off the bat when I woke up and walked into the boys room - still groggy and in my sweats and tank top - for our breakfast of dry cornflakes that Luke would be a burden. He isolated himself for the most part, keeping his eyes glued to his phone and sitting as far away from either of us as possible. On the occasion that he did have to be in close proximity with me, he got all fidgety and grouchy.

"We've been in the car almost all day," he whined, leaning his head against the window.

"That's never bothered you before," Michael chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"But it does today!" Luke groaned, softly banging his forehead repeatedly against the glass.

Michael and I exchanged a look as we assessed Luke's mood for the billionth time. For the most part, he wasn't causing problems, just acting like a moody teenager - which he was. And he had been considerably nice ever since that night. I felt my face heat a little at the memory and my stomach clench slightly. I bit my lip, embarrassed by the way I felt about a memory. I shrugged, giving in to Luke's whining, partially to shut him up and also to break my silent communication with Michael while I got all hot and bothered.

That night was unforgettable, being that it was my first time. But that wasn't the reason I couldn't stop thinking about it. I had kind of hoped that the sexual tension that was between Luke and I would fade now that we had done what we did and that we would be able to work together without fighting all the time. Surprisingly, only the second part was coming true and if anything, the attraction only increased.

"Fine," Michael sighed and Luke clapped his hands although he didn't smile. I rolled my eyes and got out of the car while Michael started over on explaining hacking the system. I paced around a little to get feeling back into my legs as I tried to warm up. Luke was already getting out of the car, hardly paying attention to anything, including Michael who was trying to get in a few last minute instructions that soared over Luke's head.

"Yeah, yeah I got it, I press the button thingy and type in the code thingy, yeah, Michael I know - oof!"

I toppled backwards as Luke bumped into me. Luke's hand immediately shot out to stop me from falling but I lost my footing on the ice and fell down right into a pile of snow.

"Argh, you idiot!" I snapped at him as I struggled to get up, the snow already dampening my clothes. Luke stretched his hand out to me and I snatched at it, letting him pull me up.