2.3

The water was still today, low where I stood at the bend of the Mississippi, which stretch out lazily before me. I stepped closer, picking my way across the loose rocks until I was at the edge, my toes hovering over the water. I took a deep breath, smelling the green trees behind me and the earthy scent all around. Slowly, trusting my body to maintain it's balance, I let my eyes fall shut as the wind blew against my cheeks and stirred my hair.

Klunk!

My eyes fluttered open as the glassy surface of the shallow river shattered, broken by a lone rock that sent droplets of water everywhere, splattering on my clothes.

"God dammit, Luke!" I groaned, whirling around with my hands on my hips.

Luke stood a few feet back, clad in shorts, a white shirt, sandals, sunglasses and a red snapback. He shrugged at me as he picked up another stone, bringing his arm back and then letting it fly. The rock landed only a few feet away from me, splashing my bare legs. Luke gave me a not-so-apologetic smirk in response to my annoyed glare. "Your zen mode was killing me."

"You're killing me," I huffed and turned around. I folded my arms and did my best to calm down and enjoy the scenery. Luke spent the past few days in Mississippi being an annoying ass. But since it was an alternative to his distant mood in Alabama, I let it slide. Or at least tried to.

I suppressed a groan as I heard Luke's footsteps on the rocks behind me, signaling his unwelcome approach.

"Can't you go be annoying somewhere else?" I sighed, feeling his cool shadow on my back.

"Michael's dealing with the blown tire and told me to go away," Luke said lightly, his fingers playing with the ends of my hair. "So I came to bother you."

"Do you really have to be annoying?" I rolled my eyes at him, even though he couldn't see. "Like, doesn't it get tiring being a pain in my side?"

"Nah," Luke's shadow shrugged and his hands found my hips. "But I sure do like being a pleasure somewhere else."

My eyes widened slightly and warmth rose to my cheeks at his suggestive words and the squeeze of his hands. I turned slightly and put my hand on his chesy, pushing him away. "The only way you can please me is by going far away."

"You and I both know there are other ways," Luke grinned down at me cheekily and I flipped him off before turning back around to face the water.

Luke sighed behind me and stepped my side. I rolled my eyes. If he was going to stand there to annoy me instead of going away, so be it. As long as he was being quiet about it. We stood there quietly and eventually, I just ignored him, blurring Luke out of my view and mind. But it long before Luke suddenly moved, pulling his shirt over his head and making him impossible to ignore.

"What the hell are you doing?" I gaped at him. Luke kicked off his sandals and took off his hat and sunglasses, setting them on a large rock together. I blushed hard and averted my gaze as Luke began to take care of his shorts, not bothering to leave his underwear on.

"Skinnydipping," Luke answered simply, the smirk clear in his voice.

"In broad daylight?" I looked at him incredulously before quickly looking away, shielding my eyes.

"Why not?" Luke asked and I could see the water ripple slightly as he stepped in.

"Um, do you not understand the term 'broad daylight?'" I said, whisper yelling for some reason.

"There's no one around here for miles, Mel. We broke down on a backroad." Luke chuckled. "And why are you covering your eyes?"

"You aren't...decent right now," I said awkwardly as he almost stepped into my line of vision.