3.5

We moved silently up the long driveway to the house, keeping to the shadows. Not so far off behind us, the sound of the wrought iron gate to the property closing rang out with an unsettling feeling of finality. I froze, looking back over my shoulder just in time to see two shadows disappear into the darkness in the opposite direction I was heading. Luke and Ro.

"C'mon, girly. We don't have forever." Aileen's whisper carried over to me from up ahead through the silence.

"Right," I murmured, facing forward again as we continued on our way to the side entrance of the house like Michael instructed us to do.

"Almost there?" Michael's voice was there, loud and clear in my ear as if was actually there with me. "Wait, no, you can't talk back. Sorry, disreguard that. Sorry."

I smiled slightly and rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me and picked up my pace. It wasn't soon before we had arrived at the side door, both of us stopping right in front of the door.

"Locked." Aileen declared after she tried the handle. "Do you wanna pick it, or should I?"

"I see you." Michael chuckled in my ear and my brows raised as an idea popped up in my head.

"Um," I stepped back and looked about in the darkness, my eyes searching until they finally caught a faint glimmer. The camera.

"There we go," Michael murmured as I turned toward the camera.

I glanced at Aileen who had taken it upon herself to pull out a few tools from one of the many hidden pockets in her jacket. While her attention was elsewhere I turned back to the camera and subtly pointed at the door, and then the handle, and then at the camera.

"Unlock it? Sure, I can. All the doors can be unlocked without a key in case of emergency using a passcode. Or system override." Michael said and I heard the sound of keys being pressed in the background. "Stand by."

I nodded and stepped back just as there was a very faint beep and the door opened a few inches. Aileen looked up in surprise, her eyes going from the lockshe had kneeled in front of to me.

"Sometimes all you gotta do is ask," I shrugged, my eyes briefly going to the camera as I passed her and stepped inside.

"Clever," she mumbled from behind me and I heard her get to her feet and pocket the tools before she entered the house after me.

The room we had entered was large, with a chandelier that hung in the middle of the ceiling that glittered faintly every now and then with whatever moonlight made it in through the windows. It was a living room of some sort, with a fireplace in the corner, a large flatscreen TV against the wall, and multiple comfy looking couches that were placed around a glass coffee table in the middle of the room.

To the right was a large corridor that I could only guess led to the rest of the house. To the left was what had to be the kitchen, with its granite countertops, modern hanging lights, and chrome kitchen appliances.

"Do you see that door in the kitchen?" Michael asked and I nodded, finding the only door in the kitchen he could have been talking too. "Good," he responded and I knew there must have been a camera near by he could see me with. "That's the side stairwell. Take that and it'll lead you up to the rec room. I know we had it planned that you'd go around to the front and go up to the main staircase, but trust me, there's less locked doors this way. Just tell Aileen that Sid and I talked earlier today and made a few adjustments to the plans."

I nodded again and held up a thumbs up for Michael while Aileen's back was to me.

"Aileen?" I whispered, even though there was no need to stay quiet.