2.4

"So this is New Orleans," I nodded to myself, leaning on the balcony railing as I took in our surroundings.

"Well it's not Canada," Luke muttered from somewhere behind me and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up, Luke," Michael said, his voice followed by a sharp sound and a complaint. "And yep. New Orleans, Louisiana. Bourbon Street."

"It's so interesting," I said of the old fashioned brick buildings and wrought iron gates.

"Never been?" Michael asked and came to stand next to me. He leaned on the railing like I did and looked down on the street below us.

"Nope," I shook my head and tucked my hair behind my ear. "I've always wanted to. I never would have imagined that the first time I'd be visiting would be under these circumstances."

"You've seen a lot of places with us, though," Michael pointed out.

"Yeah," I nodded and sighed. "Never would have imagined..."

"I'm sorry things aren't going the way you planned, Mel," Michael frowned and I shrugged. There was nothing he could do now about what happened. I've been gone for months. And probably assumed dead.

"If you guys are gonna get all sappy, I'm gonna go out." Luke grumbled and I turned around just in time to see him grab his jacket and disappear out the door.

"We don't want you here anyway," Michael called after him, even though the door was already shut. I almost laughed at his comment until I realized that Michael's tone was more serious than joking.

"Are you upset with him?" I asked, feeling much more at ease talking with Michael now that Luke was gone. To say that the last few days have been awkward for us would be an understatement. Luke had hardly said more than a word to me and I hadn't exactly made any efforts either. Around me, he was either hesitant and quiet or he acted as if I wasn't there. There was no in between. His walls were back up.

"Well, having you with us has been a relief because before it was just us two. But ever since he's been on the outs with you, he's been hanging around me," Michael sighed and ran his hands through his dark messy hair. "Non. Stop."

"Sorry," I mumbled apologetically and Michael waved me off.

"Don't work yourself up about it," he shrugged dismissively. "We haven't really fought or anything. He's just moody and grumpy again. Oh, and annoying. But that's just how he always is, huh?"

"I guess so," I allowed myself a small chuckle that quickly died out. So Michael - who was usually oblivious to any of the drama that went on between Luke and I - had noticed that something was wrong.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Michael asked gently as if he could read my mind.

I opened my mouth, about to spill everything. In all honesty, I had actually missed Luke the last few days. It was nothing compared to how I missed Calum, but I still did. Luke and I were getting comfortable around each other and I definitely trusted him. I didn't have much left beyond these two boys, so the absence of one felt pretty significant. But in order to tell Michael in, I'd have to tell him everything about what happened between Luke and I. I shook my head. "Not really."

Michael nodded as if he expected that answer and returned his attention to the street below us and the buildings around us. "Okay."

"Thanks," I said gratefully, truly meaning it. That was one of the things that I liked about Michael. He was so easy going and easy to talk to. He didn't really press for answers and accepted everything I said. He didn't demand any more or any less.