2.8

Edit: I rewrote this so yeah yeah yeah.

"Luke?" I looked up from the book I was curled up on the couch reading, a troubling thought coming across my mind.

"Yeah?" Luke poked his head out of the bathroom door, his blonde hair flat due to all the steam from the shower he was about to take.

"Where exactly is Michael?" I furrowed my brow, realizing that he still wasn't back. We had already done all the raids we had planned for today in San Antonio, Texas, so we had the rest of the night off. I had decided to take the night to relax in the room and Luke - who had proven to be just a little too overprotective - chose to stay too. Michael, on the other hand, was out the door again moments after we had gotten in.

"I don't know. I'm sure he's fine, he knows what he's doing," Luke shrugged, leaning shirtless against the doorway.

"Yeah, but he said he wouldn't be out long," I frowned. "It's been almost three hours."

"Maybe he found someone?" Luke suggested and I shook my head.

"Luke, you and I both know he's not like that." I got to my feet and walked away, checking the boys' room just to make sure Michael hadn't somehow snuck in whether it be through the window or the door or he magically transported himself into his room. Which he hadn't.

"People change. Look at me, for example. You ruined my life." Luke teased with a joking smirk as I reentered the main room.

"Ha ha, very funny," I rolled my eyes and grabbed a magazine off the table to throw at Luke. "But I'm serious. It's..." I checked my phone for the time. "It's way past eleven - almost twelve - and he's not back."

"Mel, he's a big boy, he can handle himself, alright?" Luke came over and rubbed my shoulder, handing me back the magazine as he kiss the top of my head. 'You worry too much."

"Yeah, well most of the time I'm right to worry," I muttered and Luke chuckled softly, his breath stirring my hair. "My worrying is probably one of the only reasons you haven't died from something really stupid yet."

"And for that, I am very thankful to have you around," Luke grinned and I sighed, feeling my heart leap in my chest as I couldn't help but smile slightly.

"You'll be the death of me, Hemmo," I shook my head and reached up to cup his cheek.

"Hemmo, huh?" Luke mumbled in a slightly amused tone as he pressed his lips gently to mine.

"Yeah," I shrugged, letting go of him. "I kind of like it."

"Huh," Luke said, standing up straight again. "Maybe it's you who will be the death of me."

"Let's just hope Michael won't be the death of Michael," I frowned, returning to worrying about the poor guy, who was probably drinking himself into amnesia to forget the people he's left behind.

"Don't sweat it, Mel, he'll be alright." Luke squeezed my shoulder and started to back away towards the bathroom. "I promise you."

"Alright, alright," I nodded with a heavy sigh and turned to see Luke reenter the bathroom.

"Don't worry!" Luke called over his shoulder once more before shutting the door behind him.

But I did.

I looked over at the door to the room Michael and Luke were supposed to share. I wanted so badly to see Michael's tall form leaning against the doorway as he smiled and laughed without the aid of alcohol to muddle his mind.

No matter how many times Luke told me not to worry, I always would. About him, about Michael, and about the people we've left behind. Right now, Michael was not okay. He was drowning, digging himself into a hole that only got deeper with every ounce of alcohol he swallowed.