Chapter 5: It's times like these when I realize my mum is evil

*Maddy's POV*

I lay sprawled out on my bed while debating whether or not I should delete Harry's number when mum walks in.

"He's taking you on a date tomorrow at nine. Be ready and wear something cute. I saw the pictures you took. Great work sweetheart!" She said in one breath.

"A date? Why? And why did you make me give him my number? I don't even like him! He's a jerk!"

"Honey, I know he's a jerk. He's a player and a flirt, as well. What we need to do is expose him. Okay? You'll be like an undercover cop. Get some info on him and then ill pass it along to my boss. Then just think of all new things we could buy!"

I sighed loudly. As much as that sounded great to me, I didn't want to be like my mother. Her job was breaking people. She literally took perfectly good people, and knocked them down for money. But the thing is, sometimes she's right. Sometimes the people deserve to be broken. Harry, for example, needed his ego popped like a balloon. I just didn't know if I wanted to be the one to do it.

"You really have no choice, you know." Mum said bluntly.

Was that a threat? Now mum wants to play dirty, huh? I raised my eyebrows at her in mock surprise.

"Is that so?" I said slowly.

She threw a wicked smile at me and spoke so calmly it was scary, "This is my job so unless you want me fired so we can live on the streets you will help. I am able to kick you out almost as much as I'm able to ground you forever."

I just shook my head at her.

"Plus you get to hang out with a very attractive boy while leading him on just so we can show everyone who he really is. I know you, more than anyone else would love that."

She had me there. When I was 16, I fell in love with one of the biggest players in school. I ignored his reputation and he broke my heart. I hadn't dated anyone since then, and I'd always hated boys who were called players. Harry. He was a player. This was my chance. I would make sure he didn't hurt anyone else. Make sure he didn't hurt me. I nodded and mum smiled while twirling out of my room. It was late so I tried to fall asleep. It didn't work.

Instead I went on my laptop, and google searched 'Harry Styles girlfriends'

This was a mistake. I read article after article and scrolled through images of girl after girl. Eventually I was so angry at him that I paced my room in disgust. At five in the morning, I finally fell asleep.