A Date

I let my thoughts consume my mind
I can't believe this world is such a mess
I guess the only thing to do
Is hide away my feelings like the rest

-Afterthoughts, Renforshort

♾♾♾♾

Steve watched Poppy come down the stairs in a blue lacy sundress that fell to her knees and black booties. He swallowed hard, seeing her smile at him as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "Poppy, you look.." He cleared his throat, "you look nice."

Poppy smiled up at Steve, "thank you! Bucky took me shopping earlier."

Steve nodded, sighing as he crossed his arms, "now what do you know about this guy?"

She shrugged as Bucky and Sam came into the foyer, "I don't know. His name is Zach. That's all I know."

"You didn't look him up?! What if he's dangerous?"

Bucky scoffed, hitting Steve in the arm, "leave her alone. She can handle herself Steve."

Poppy nodded, "I can handle myself." She took a step towards Steve, "I thought it would be nice to talk to him and learn about him from him. I could have looked him up if I wanted to. But not everyone gets a file handed to them when they meet someone new."

Steve groaned, his face turning red, "I'm sorry Poppy."

She shrugged, backing away from him as she motioned to them all, "you think I didn't read all of your files too? It's fine. I would just like to learn about Zach the old fashioned way." She smirked at him, "you remember that? You're old right?"

Steve laughed, "I am. Yes." He turned to the door as there was a knock.

Poppy pushed all the guys out of the way as she answered the door to Zach, "hi."

Zach smiled at her, checking out her dress, "you look beautiful Poppy."

She watched the panic wash over his face as he looked past her. She turned around to see all the guys standing with their arms crossed, stern looks on their faces, Sam and Bucky side by side and Steve behind them. She laughed, hitting Bucky in the arm, "stop it!" She turned back to Zach, "I'm sorry about them. I promise they're harmless."

Bucky shrugged, "well, that depends on how you treat her. Don't keep her out too late."

Poppy flushed red with embarrassment as she pushed Zach out in front of her as she slammed the front door, "I'm sorry Zach."

He laughed, opening the passenger door for her, "it's fine. It would have been nice to have been warned that your guardians are freaking Avengers." He smiled at her giggle as he closed the door, going around to the driver's side. He turned to her, "I guess that explains the guy last night?"

Poppy nodded, "yeah. I guess there's some things you should know about me Zach."

"Besides your three dads?"

She laughed as he pulled out of the driveway, "they aren't my dads. They're my roommates. My friends."

Zach nodded, "are you an Avenger?"

"Sort of, yeah. Does that scare you away?"

He laughed, "if your three dads didn't scare me away, then that certainly isn't going to." He looked at her as he smirked, "I'll just be sure to ask before I kiss you later, rather than ending on the floor. Though I may enjoy that too."

Poppy blushed as he grabbed her hand while he drove.

♾♾♾♾

Bucky watched Steve pace up and down the hallway as he read quietly in the study. He finally slammed his book shut, setting it on his chair as he stood up, "Steve! For fuck's sake." He grabbed his friend, pulling him into the study, making him sit down, "you're making me anxious. What exactly do you think is going to happen?"

Steve shrugged, "I don't know! We don't know anything about this kid. What's his last name? Where is he from? How old is he?!"

Bucky laughed, sitting back down as he watched his friend. "If you're jealous then just say that Steve."

Steve rolled his eyes as he scoffed, "I'm not!" He leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms as Sam came into the study.

"You're not what?"

Bucky smirked, "jealous. But he is."

Sam laughed, "oh that. Definitely jealous."

Bucky looked at Steve, "why can't you just admit it? It's just us."

Steve looked away from them, shaking his head as he clenched his jaw, "I'm not." He leapt to his feet when he heard Zach's car pull into the driveway. He went to the window, seeing them talking in the front seat. He looked back at Bucky and Sam laughing at him, "okay! I'm a little jealous. Shut up already." He rolled his eyes before looking back outside.

Poppy looked from the house to Zach, "you realize we're probably being watched, right?"

Zach laughed, "I would expect nothing less from Avengers." He shrugged, "and it's okay. They worry about you. That doesn't bother me." He got out of the car, coming around to open her door as he offered her his hand. He smiled when she accepted it, holding it all the way to the door. He turned to face her on the porch, "I had a nice time Poppy. Can I see you again?"

Poppy nodded, "I'd like that."

He smiled, "can I kiss you goodnight?"

Poppy grinned, "please." She saw him smile as he leaned in, kissing her as he placed his hand on her cheek.

Zach laughed, pulling away when the porch light came on, "are you sure you're an adult?"

Poppy groaned, "yes. I'm sorry they don't realize that."

He shrugged, "it's fine. I'll text you."

She smiled as he leaned down to kiss her cheek once more before walking away. She went inside to find the guys all standing and waiting for her, "who turned on the light?"

Steve took a step towards her, "I did."

"I am an adult you know."

"We know that doll. I tried to stop him." He looked from Poppy to Steve, neither of them taking their eyes off each other. He cleared his throat, bringing the attention to him, "did you have a nice time?"

Poppy grinned and nodded, "I did. He asked if he could see me again." She started to walk away but Steve stopped her.

"What do you even know about this guy?"

"His name is Zach Ellison. He's 28 and works as a bartender at night sometimes to make extra money. During the day he's a web designer. He has a twin sister and a 7 year old niece named Madelyn. His parents are dead." She took a step towards him as she crossed her arms, "would you like to know his shoe size? First grade teacher?" She smirked as she leaned up to him, lowering her voice, "how good of a kisser he is?"

Steve felt his breath catch, shaking his head as he heard Bucky chuckle next to him, "no."

She nodded, "okay then. Goodnight boys."