Unconventional

'Cause you are, you are
The reason why I'm still hanging on
'Cause you are, you are
The reason why my head is still above water

-Get You The Moon, Kinda

♾♾♾♾

Poppy pulled into Steve's driveway, seeing an ambulance across the street as well as a few police cars. She rushed to the porch where Steve was holding onto Lily, "what is going on?" She took Lily as she leapt into her arms. She looked at Steve to see a worried expression.

He lowered his voice, "her mom overdosed."

"Oh god!" Poppy gripped Lily tighter as she sat on the porch next to Steve.

"She rushed over here, knocking on the door." Steve stood up as a police officer and a woman in a suit approached them. He shook their hands, finding out the woman was a social worker named Leslie.

"I'm supposed to take Lily." She went to reach for Lily but Lily fought against her.

"No! I want to stay with Steve!"

Steve stood in front of Poppy holding onto Lily, "please. Can't she stay here? We're familiar. Does she have any other family?"

Leslie sighed, "I don't think so. No."

He took a step towards them, "please. She's scared enough. She knows us, and she's safe here. Just let her stay."

Leslie nodded, "fine. But it isn't permanent. I'll have to find her a foster family eventually."

Steve nodded, smiling, "thank you." He turned back to Poppy, ushering her inside the house.

"They can't take her Steve."

"Let's just get through the night first, okay?" He led them to the kitchen, "sit. Eat. I'll see if I can get some stuff for her from her house."

Poppy nodded, sitting with Lily, "are you hungry?" She saw Lily shake her head. "Do you want to watch cartoons in the living room?"

Lily smiled, "can I?"

Poppy chuckled, "of course we can." She carried her into the living room, sitting with her on the couch as she turned on the tv.

Steve came back after ten minutes to find Lily asleep on Poppy on the couch. He sat on the coffee table in front of them, putting a blanket on them. "Most of her stuff is dirty and tattered. I called Pepper. She said we could come and get some old clothes of Morgan's if we wanted."

Poppy nodded, "I think that's a great idea. In the morning?"

"Yeah. Come on. I'll take her to my room and we can have dinner." Steve leaned over, wrapping the blanket around Lily as he lifted her, taking her to his bedroom, laying her in the middle of the bed. Poppy followed them, waiting in the doorway. Steve closed the door slightly, ushering her back to the kitchen as he turned to her, "not all families are conventional." He smiled as she wrapped her arms around him, burying her head in his chest. He sighed, pulling away as he looked at the food, "are you hungry?"

She chuckled, "not really."

He nodded, "me either."

She helped him put the food away before cleaning the dishes in silence. She looked up at him as she smiled, "ice cream?"

Steve laughed, "yeah." He went into the freezer, pulling out a carton of chocolate ice cream, handing it to her with a spoon. He watched her hop onto the counter as he leaned against the opposite counter, watching her, "how did it go with Zach?"

Poppy sighed, "it was fine. He's really sweet. I feel bad."

He nodded, "I know you do." He positioned himself between her legs, "why did you choose me?"

She chuckled, setting the ice cream on the counter next to her as she wrapped her arms around his neck, "it was always going to be you from the first moment you kissed me Steve."

He grinned, "you kissed me first. I would just like to point that out."

She giggled, "I did." She closed the distance, kissing him as he wrapped his arms around her waist. She moaned as he lifted her, carrying her to the couch, laying her on her back with him on top of her. He ran his hand up her thigh as she lifted it, wrapping it around him, pulling him closer.

Steve moaned, running his hand up to her waist, resting it there as he pulled away, out of breath. "I can't get enough of you."

Poppy nodded, "let's go to bed."

Steve stood up, holding his hand out to her, "let's go." He watched her crawl into bed on one side of Lily while he changed into sweats and a t-shirt, crawling on the other side, facing Poppy as she pulled Lily closer to her. Steve rested his hand on her waist as she rested her hand on his arm. He leaned forward, kissing her on the forehead before closing his eyes.

♾♾♾♾

Steve woke up with a grunt as he felt Lily kick him in the stomach as she rolled over.

The commotion woke up Poppy as she watched Steve hunch over, making her laugh softly, "are you okay?"

He groaned, getting out of bed, "yeah. Could have been worse. She could have kicked me lower."

Poppy giggled, sitting up as Lily woke up. "Hey sweet girl. Are you hungry?"

Lily stood up, jumping on the bed. "Yes! I want chocolate chip pancakes!"

Steve laughed, "coming right up. Then we're going to my friend Pepper's house and you can play with her daughter Morgan who's just about your age. How does that sound?"

Lily plopped onto the bed as she shrugged, "good." She looked at Poppy, "my mom is gone?"

Poppy looked up at Steve, motioning for him to go as she looked back down at Poppy. "She is. I'm sorry. How does that make you feel?" She brought her hand to Lily's hair, combing her fingers through.

"I don't know. Sad? Am I going to live here with you and Steve?"

"Oh. I don't know sweetie. We'll see."

Lily grinned, "I want to stay here with you and Steve!"

Poppy sighed, "I don't know if you can. We'll see." She watched Lily run out of the room as she laid back in bed, staring at the ceiling.