Zach

I lost myself in the process of finding it all
I beg you to run, I can't be the one that you love
I gave up the love in my bones, now I'm out of touch
Why doеs everything keep falling apart from me?

-Dark Until September, Will Hyde

♾♾♾♾

Bucky knocked on Poppy's door the next night, seeing her answer in a yellow sundress, "Poppy. Where are you off too?"

She shrugged, "Zach has been trying to schedule another date with me for a while. I was putting it off, but..." She smiled, "he's taking me to his place to make me dinner and we're going to watch a movie."

Bucky sighed, "okay. Just be careful. And call me, if you need me."

Poppy nodded, "of course. What did you want?"

He shrugged, "wanted to see if you wanted to watch a movie with me, but go on your date. It's fine."

Poppy smiled, "okay. Tomorrow?"

Bucky nodded as he grabbed her hand, "what about Steve?"

She shrugged, "what about him? He said he regretted kissing me and that he wanted to start a family with someone. That can't be me. So.." She pulled her hand away from him, "I have to go."

Bucky sighed, watching her walk away from him.

♾♾♾♾

Steve heard someone come into the house as he ate dinner alone in the kitchen. He stood up to see Bucky in front of him, "Buck? What are you doing here?"

Bucky didn't say anything as he pinned Steve against the wall with his metal arm up on his chest, "why are you such an idiot Steve?!"

"The fuck, Buck! What are you talking about?" He tried to push against Bucky, but he kept him firmly against the wall.

"I mean you telling Poppy that you regret kissing her and then having the audacity to tell her that you want a family as a reason you can't be with her! What the fuck were you thinking?"

Steve groaned as Bucky released him, "that's not exactly true." He rubbed his chest where Bucky held his metal arm against him, "I did say I regretted kissing her, that is true. I lied. I had to lie. And the family thing was an accident. I was rambling. She asked me why I retired. I said I wasn't sure, a family maybe, but that I was still trying to figure it all out. I didn't mean to imply that I didn't want her because she couldn't have kids. I'm an idiot, okay! I keep saying all the wrong things!"

Bucky nodded "you are an idiot! Now she's on a date with Zach again. She said she was waiting for you, but after what you said, she decided to move on. I hope you're happy!"

Steve plopped into his chair, "she's on another date?"

"Yes! You're a dumbass!" Bucky took one more look at his friend before storming out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

Steve sighed, pushing his dinner away as he tried not to think about whatever Poppy was doing on her date.

♾♾♾♾

"Dinner was great Zach, thank you."

He chuckled as he plopped onto the couch next to her, "you mustn't have had too many guys making you dinner then."

Poppy blushed, "never actually."

"Oh. Really?"

She shrugged, "you're the only guy I've dated actually. I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" He brought his arm up on the back of the couch, placing his hand on her cheek, "I think you're sweet."

She smiled, moving closer to him, "me too." She looked nervously down at her lap, "I didn't really have a normal upbringing."

Zach nodded, "you don't have to talk about it right now if you don't want to."

"Thank you." She sighed, "actually, I think you should know something before we get too far."

Zach shrugged as he nodded, running his fingers through her hair, "Okay? What is it?"

Poppy looked down at her hands in her lap again as she fiddled with the hem of her skirt, "I can't have kids."

Zach shook his head, bringing his hand up to her cheek, making her look up at him, "that's okay. Not something we'd have to talk about right now." He laughed, "but certainly not a deal breaker. Okay?"

Poppy nodded, "okay. Can we just watch the movie?"

Zach smiled, "yeah!" He turned on the movie, "Trolls. It's my niece's favorite movie. I've seen it so many times. But the main character, her name is Princess Poppy."

She giggled, moving next to him as he put his arm around her shoulder, "perfect." She rested her head on his chest as she felt him running his fingers up and down her arm, making her smile.

Zach looked down to see her watching him as he smiled, "you can't look at me like that unless you want me to kiss you."

Poppy sat up, "what if I do?"

He grinned, turning to face her as he cradled her face in his hand, pressing his lips softly to hers. He smiled at the small moan as she brought her arms up, around his neck. The kiss became more urgent as he brushed her hair out of her face, resting his hand on the back of her head as he laid her on the couch, pinning her under him.

Poppy felt him run his hand up her thigh under her dress before she pushed him away, out of breath.

Zach sat back, "I'm sorry."

She shook her head, sitting up with him, "don't be. I enjoyed it, I just don't want to go too fast."

Zach nodded, "yeah. Of course. I... Even if you aren't ready for that, I'd still like you to stay the night. We can just sleep."

Poppy grinned, "okay. I'd like that." She laughed at Zach's grin at her agreement as he leaned forward, kissing her once more before leaning back on the couch. He brought his arm up again, pulling her to his chest as they finished the movie.