Overwhelmed

And if the sun starts setting, the sky goes cold
Then if the clouds get heavy and start to fall
I really need somebody to call my own
I wanna be somebody to someone

-Someone To You, Banners

♾♾♾♾

Steve pulled up to Pepper's cabin Tony bought for her in upstate New York as he saw Morgan running towards him.

"Uncle Steve!"

Steve laughed as he lifted Morgan off the ground as Poppy carried a disgruntled Lily.

Poppy chuckled at Lily, "don't be jealous little one."

"He's my Steve!"

Steve laughed, setting Morgan on the ground as he took Lily from Poppy. "Always little one." He kissed her on the head before setting her down with Morgan, "go play with Morgan. And be nice." He grabbed Poppy's hand, leading her inside as they were greeted by Pepper. "Pepper, this is Poppy." Saying it out loud made him laugh as he looked at Poppy to see her shake her head.

She shook Pepper's hand, "it's nice to meet you. I'm really sorry about Tony."

Pepper half smiled, "thank you. I'm sorry about Nat." She pointed to a box, "there's a bunch of old clothes that Morgan has grown out of."

Steve nodded, "thank you so much. I really appreciate it."

"Yeah. Of course Steve. I'm happy to help."

Steve pulled some clothes from the top, handing them to Poppy. "Do you want to give her a bath?"

Poppy nodded, looking at Pepper as she led her to a bathroom on the main floor. "Thanks." Poppy grabbed Lily as she ran around with Morgan, "do you want to take a bath?"

"Yes!"

Poppy laughed, leading her to the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

Pepper smiled up at Steve as she made a sandwich for Morgan and Lily, "look at you, finally getting that life Tony told you to get."

Steve chuckled, "I'm trying."

She nodded, "love and family come in the most unexpected of places Steve."

He smiled, sitting at the counter as Morgan hopped up next to him, "I know."

Pepper nodded, "well I'm glad you stayed here with us."

He laughed, "well I was forced to. And I'm glad I was too." He nudged Morgan, "how are you little one?"

She smiled, looking up at him, "I'm good. Is Lily your daughter?"

Steve sighed, "not exactly."

"Is Poppy your girlfriend?"

He looked up at Pepper who smiled, "yes. She is."

Morgan grinned, "she's pretty. I like her hair."

Steve laughed, "me too."

Pepper set a water bottle in front of him, "she's one of Natasha's girls, right?"

He sighed, "she is, yes. And she was snapped too. So she's still trying to find her bearings. To her, it hasn't been that long since she was in the Red Room. Even though in reality it's been more than 7 years." He saw her nod as he heard Poppy and Lily come back. Lily was wearing jeans and a pink shirt with her hair braided back in pigtails, "better?" Lily nodded and grinned as Steve picked her up. He smiled, setting the peanut butter and jelly sandwich in front of her. "You like peanut butter and jelly?"

"They're my favorite!"

He laughed as she took a big bite, getting peanut butter all over her face. He felt Poppy rest her head on his shoulder from behind as he rested his head on hers. "We need to go shopping for other stuff. Essentials. Bedding. Child friendly food."

Poppy nodded her agreement as she looked at Lily, "do you want to go shopping little one?"

Lily grinned, nodding adamantly as she did, making everyone laugh.

Pepper noticed Steve's wheels turning as he began to feel overwhelmed. She reached over, resting her hand on his, "you'll figure it out. Don't worry."

He nodded, sighing, "thanks Pepper."

"Of course. Let me know if there's anything else you need."

♾♾♾♾

Steve pulled into the driveway with the girls to find Leslie waiting for them. He groaned as he got out of the car, approaching her. "What is it?"

Leslie shrugged, "I came to check on her. And on you."

Steve nodded as Lily got out of the car, hiding behind Steve as she approached him. "As you can see, she's clean and safe. Come in." He grabbed Lily, picking her up as he led Leslie inside. He motioned to Poppy, handing her Lily, "take her upstairs and let her choose a room."

Poppy nodded, smiling. "Sure."

Steve looked back at Leslie, "I want to keep her. Let me adopt her."

Leslie sighed, "I don't know if that's a good idea. We don't usually let single men adopt children."

"I'm not single. I'm with Poppy. And Lily will be well taken care of here. I assure you. Please."

"I have no doubts of that Captain Rogers."

He smiled, "it's just Steve." He motioned around, "I'm very clean. And I have plenty of room. There's three rooms upstairs and she'd have her own bathroom. And I let her pick out her own bedding and stuff for her room. I know I haven't had kids, but I can figure it out. I just need some faith."

Leslie chuckled, "I'll try."

He nodded, "did you find any other family?"

"No. Don't know the father and the mother didn't seem to have any other family."

He smiled, "that'll make it easier right? For me to adopt her?"

"You're going to adopt me? Does that mean I get to stay here?"

He closed his eyes, hanging his head as he turned around to Lily, seeing an apologetic look on Poppy's face. He knelt down in front of her, "I'm trying to. Would you like to stay here with me? With me and Poppy?"

Lily grinned, "I would!"

Leslie sighed, "dirty trick." She laughed as Steve laughed, picking up Lily. "I'll see what I can do. We'll need to send someone to do a home check. Though I'm sure that will be fine. And she needs to be signed up for school this fall."

Steve nodded, "of course. Anything!" He smiled as he led Leslie to the front door, turning back to Poppy after closing the door.

Poppy sighed as he set Lily on her feet, "Lily, go watch tv in the living room."

Steve groaned, "what's the matter?"