Endearments

And there is no, no song I could sing
And there is no combination of words I could say
But I will still tell you one thing
We're better together

-Better Together, Jack Johnson

♾♾♾♾

Steve sat on the front porch the following morning, watching Lily play with the flowers Poppy planted. He looked up from his coffee as a car pulled into a driveway and he saw Bucky get out with Sam. "Hey. What are you guys doing here?"

Lily grinned, "Bucky!"

He laughed as Lily leapt into his arms. "Well hello there little flower." He smiled at her little giggle as he set her on the ground. He sat next to Steve as he looked around, "where is Poppy?"

Steve grinned, "oh. She's still asleep."

Bucky inspected the grin on his face, "okay. Gross." He heard Steve laugh as he stood up, going into the house. He went into Steve and Poppy's bedroom, finding her as Steve said, still asleep. He kicked off his shoes before jumping onto the bed next to her. He laughed as he heard her grunt, rolling to face him.

Poppy opened her eyes, seeing Bucky beside her, "why are you here, waking me up?"

"Why are you here, still asleep."

She sat up, shrugging, "I'm tired?"

Bucky laughed, pushing her shoulder, "wonder why."

Poppy blushed, "did Steve tell you?"

Bucky sat up next to her, "he didn't have to." He brought his hand up to her hair, "you're okay though?"

She smiled, laying back down, "more than. Are you here to check on me?"

Bucky sighed, "not just." He laid back next to her, resting his head on his hand, "I came to check on you and Steve. And your ward. And we have to go to work."

She laughed, "our ward? She's a sweet girl Buck. I have to admit, I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed. But Steve is so great with her and she's completely smitten with him as well. We're figuring it out."

He smiled, placing his hand on her cheek, "good. I'm glad." He leapt to his feet, "now get up!"

She laughed, throwing a pillow at him as he left, shutting the door behind him. After getting dressed, she came out to the front porch to sit next to Steve. "Morning."

Steve grinned as Poppy took her place beside him, "good morning Katerina." He leaned over, kissing her as she brought her hand to his cheek.

"Steve. Last night was..."

He nodded, "me too."

"Ugh! Get a room!"

Poppy giggled as she looked up at Bucky who stood with his arms crossed, "we have one. The one you dragged me from!"

Steve laughed, "there's pancakes in the kitchen. I'm sure you must be hungry."

Poppy leapt to her feet as she heard Steve laugh, "starving!" She looked at Bucky, "come on buckaroo. Come eat breakfast with me?" She stood for a minute as he looked at Steve.

"What did you just call me?" Bucky grinned as he ran his tongue along his lips slowly, watching her as he thought of what to do.

She squealed as he leapt for her on the stairs but she quickly jumped over the railing, landing just outside the flowers next to Lily as she heard her giggle. "I'm faster than you Buck."

He growled, "hiding behind a child."

Lily giggled, standing in front of Bucky as she pointed at him, "now listen here, buckaroo! Leave her to eat her breakfast!"

Poppy laughed as Steve and Sam laughed at him. "I'm sorry Buck. Have breakfast with me?"

Bucky nodded, pointing to the house, "you first, doll."

She nodded, walking backwards into the house watching Bucky as she did. She saw him smirk and shake his head as she entered the kitchen. She grabbed some pancakes from the stack Steve left for her, pushing the others towards Bucky. "Thanks."

He shrugged, "for what?"

She smiled, "for being my friend. You were my first friend I made since leaving the Red Room"

"Of course doll." He nudged her shoulder as he sat next to her, "I love you Poppy. I'm always going to be here."

"I love you too Buck. Thanks." She laughed, "buckaroo." She heard him growl again next to her, "you don't like it?"

"I'll let the kid call me that, but not you."

She giggled, "it's a term of endearment Buck." She watched his exasperated look, making her laugh. "Fine. I won't call you that." She rolled her eyes as she heard him laugh.

Steve came into the kitchen, carrying Lily, followed shortly by Sam. "I was thinking of calling Pepper and having Morgan stay the night here with Lily. We could build a fort in the living room and watch movies."

"Could we?!"

Poppy laughed at the excited look on Lily's face. "Of course we can. I think I have to go to work with Bucky here. But I'll be back before movie night. Okay?"

Lily nodded, "okay!!" She pointed to Bucky. Steve laughed, carrying her to Bucky as she leaned down to kiss him on the cheek, "thanks for visiting Uncle Buckaroo."

Bucky looked at Poppy as she tried to stifle a laugh, "I hate you so much." He looked back at Lily, "anytime little doll. I'll come back to visit you soon."

Lily nodded, smiling, "okay."

Bucky pushed Poppy a little too hard, making her fall from the stool with a laugh, "let's go doll."

Poppy stood up, laughing. She kissed Lily on the cheek before leaning up to Steve's ear, "can we have our own fort?"

Steve chuckled, nodding, "anything you want love."

She giggled, kissing him as she felt Bucky dragging her away, "I'll see you guys later."