Chapter 16: Close call

Rayne leaned on the counter and wiped her hands on her jeans.

"Rayne!" Her mom called, summoning her into the living room. She obeyed and leaned on the doorway.

"Ma'am?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Her mom was running around, chasing after three little kids of the same age. They were Rayne's siblings. They all had light brown hair and brown eyes.

"Can you start breakfast? I have to clean up a bit." Her mom sighed. Rayne glanced around at the toys scattered about on the floor and nodded.

"Sure, mom. Love you." Her mom gave her a soft smile before finally catching one of the triplets. The sound faded out as Rayne made her way to the kitchen to start on breakfast. She made a split-second decision once dinner was over and bolted to meet up with Indigo.

. . .

Indigo sat on his bed, staring at the T.V as Rayne played some video games. Quickly she paused the game she was playing, setting the remote on the bed.

"I'm bored. Entertain me." She smirked, sitting on his lap. He raised his eyebrow and frowned.

"How are you bored? You're playing video games?" He asked, Violet still on his mind. These days it seemed impossible to get her out of his head. She sighed.

"Do I need to spell it out for you?" She asked, leaning into a kiss.

"Possibly, because I have no idea what you're talking about." He shrugged. She pulled back and looked at his eyes, which weren't even on her, but staring blankly ahead. She climbed off of his lap and put her hands on her hips.

"Indigo!" She snapped, getting his attention. She glared at him.

"What's distracting you so badly lately?" She asked. He raised his eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He asked. She rolled her eyes.

"Baby, I'm not blind. You're distracted by something, what is it?" She asked. He shook his head.

"It's nothing Rayne, just calm down." He lied. Suddenly she got a thought in her mind.

"It's Violet, isn't it?" She questioned. He shook his head.

"No, it's nothing, now come here and calm down." He lied, tilting his head at her.

"No. You still care about her, don't you?" She accused. He hadn't thought about that. Did he care about her? He had been to preoccupied wondering if she liked him, he never stopped to figure out if he liked her.

"I don't, Rayne." He denied. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Then tell me what you were thinking about." She demanded. He sighed.

"Rayne, it's not a big deal. Come here." He ordered. She rolled her eyes.

"You know what, call me when you figure out what you want." She hissed storming off.

. . .

I walked around in the crowded house, going towards the alcohol table. I came to a party to escape my life, just as Indigo said I did and was about to drink once again as Indigo had accused of me. I was about to sip my drink, but I set it down, thinking about Indigo. Quickly I rushed out of the party, trying to avoid all of the temptations following around me. As I was walking home I pulled out my phone and called Indigo.

"Hello?" He answered. I sighed, not sure why I'd called him, but he'd been on my mind all day and I couldn't help it.

"Hi." I greeted. There was silence before he spoke again.

"Violet? Why are you calling me?" He asked. I sighed, looking down.

"I'm not entirely sure. I just couldn't help it." I explained.

"Oh." There was an awkward silence before he spoke.

"Violet, if there is something you have to say, say it because I'm quite tired and need sleep." He pushed.

"Do you want to come over?" I asked, the words flowing from my mouth without my permission. Indigo froze. He was conflicted. He knew it was wrong, but for some reason, he couldn't find it in himself to reject such a sweet offer.

"Um... Sure? I'll be there in a few." He responded, hanging up. Quickly I rushed home and sat on the couch. After around five minutes Indigo finally arrived.

"Hey." I greeted opening the door. I knew inviting him over was a bad idea, but I couldn't help it, everything in my mind was drawing me towards him.

"Hi." He replied, entering the house and sitting on the couch.

"I'm sorry that I woke you up." I apologized, sitting next to him. He shrugged, looking around.

"Wow. This place hasn't changed much." He commented.

"Violet! Are you home?" My mom called, walking into the room. As soon as she noticed Indigo she smiled.

"Well, hi Indigo, it's been a while since I saw you around here." She greeted. He nodded, standing up and walking over to her.

"Hey, Christine. How have you been?" He asked, smiling at her. She shrugged.

"I've managed. I'm going to go to bed, but you two be good and try not to wake Damien." She demanded. We both nodded and Indigo sat down next to me.

"So, why did you invite me over?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I'm not actually sure." I sighed. He looked at me for a second before chuckling.

"You know, a few days ago, I was talking to Rayne about you and she seemed so sure that you liked me. It has been driving me crazy ever since then and I can't for the life of me figure out why." He announced. I sighed.

"And today I was thinking about it and Rayne got mad at me and accused me of liking you." He added. I raised my eyebrow.

"Okay?" I asked, urging him to continue. He looked up at me and his eyes connected with mine. I could feel the sparks igniting between us as his indigo eyes stared into my violet ones. Slowly he had begun to lean in when suddenly his phone began ringing. Instantly we were both snapped out of the moment and I could instantly see the look of regret on his face as he pulled out his phone and answered it.

"Yeah, Oh? Right now? Okay. I'll be right there." He hung up looking at me.

"I'm sorry, that was Rayne. I have to go." He apologized, rushing off, leaving me sitting there in awe. Everything that had happened felt like a dream to me.

Indigo arrived at Grayson's cafe, looking around for Rayne, who had told him to meet her there.

"Hey." She greeted, walking up to him. He smiled softly at her.

"Hi. Are you done being paranoid now?" He asked, even though he knew he'd felt something with Violet earlier. He ignored it, figuring that it was just him who felt it. She nodded, rushing into his arms.

"I'm sorry Indigo. I love you." She apologized, hugging me tightly. He kissed the top of her head gently and sighed.

"I love you too."