Rest and Revelation

I cannot stop thinking about my tiny Dweller guy. I haven't hyperfixated on him before, but now it's his time to shine in my mind.

I love he so much. Fun fact- he almost didn't exist in the story! I was writing the third arc when I was struck with the idea, and put him in.

---

After everything that happened, Hat Kid could confirm that it felt good to hug Jaide again.

"I'm glad you're okay," she told Jaide.

"I am too," Jaide admitted with a soft laugh. "I...I'll be honest, I never thought I would see the light of day again."

Hat Kid pulled away with wide eyes. "What was it like?" she asked. It might or might not be a sensitive question, but she was curious.

Moon pulled away from her a little, also giving her a curious look. Even the Dweller gazed up at Jaide with huge eyes. Jaide sighed with amusement. "Okay, I'll tell you. It's a little hard to remember, though."

She tilted her head, looking off in the distance as she thought about it. The Dweller tilted his head too, imitating her. "Let's see..." Jaide murmured. "After Vanessa died, Ichor started to wake up, and it was like my consciousness was falling asleep." Jaide shuddered. "Neither of us was completely there, but we did what we could to struggle for control." She shook her head, looking miserable. "Moon, I-I'm sorry I didn't say anything for so long. It was all I could do to try and grasp control."

Moon's face softened. "I'm the one who's sorry," he murmured, hugging her again and accidentally squishing Hattie between them. "I never should've attacked you. I don't know what I was thinking."

"Um, I hate to ruin this moment, but I would like to be un-squished," Hattie said as loudly as she could with her face pressed into Jaide's robe.

Both ghosts immediately pulled away, apologizing profusely. "I'm sorry," Jaide said with a small smile. "I-I should just continue with my story, so that doesn't happen again."

"You better," Hat Kid said as fiercely as she could manage. Jaide laughed nervously, then kept talking.

"Right. So I was fighting a losing battle. And the last thing I half-remember was the Outlander speaking to me. Well, to Ichor." A puzzled look crossed Jaide's face. "My, my, this is all so confusing."

Hat Kid nodded, but she was starting to put the pieces together. "And that's when Ichor took control, right?" Now that the calm was here, it felt like those yellow eyes burned out from Jaide's mask years ago.

Jaide nodded, her face brightening a little. "That's right. And I...I sort of fell asleep." She paused. "I'm not sure how else to describe it. Looking back on it, I wasn't aware of what was happening. I could hear things happening very distantly, but I didn't see anything. It was like I was sleeping in a void." Jaide frowned. "I wonder if that's what Ichor experienced for hundreds of years..."

"I'm eternally glad you're okay," Moon said. He reached out and cupped Jaide's cheek.

Jaide smiled up at him with soft blue eyes. Now kiss! Hat Kid wanted to yell. Kiss, you hopeless lovebirds!

The Dweller leaned in close (interrupting the sweet moment between Moon and Jaide) and nuzzled Jaide. She smiled softly at it and nuzzled it back.

"This Dweller seems very attached to you," Moon pointed out, looking confused.

Jaide nodded. "Oh, yes, that's because-" she stopped abruptly, her eyes growing wide. "Oh my goodness, I've never had a full chance to process anything that happened..." She laughed a little, tears flooding her eyes. She reached out and hugged the Dweller, cradling it close. The Dweller snuggled closer, the point of his tiny tail flicking back and forth.