Right and Wrong

Who to trust when everything is dark?

If there's more than one option- do you have to choose?

Who's right, and who's wrong?

Is there any way to tell whether or not you made the right decision?

Those questions have always fascinated and inspired me.

Good luck.

---

It was a standoff. Everyone was still, their faces holding different emotions. Jaide's mask was cold. The Outlander was terrified. Hat Kid and Bow Kid were stoic and ready.

And the ground lit up underneath the Outlander.

Bow Kid reacted in time. She dove over to the Outlander, shoving him out of the way. "MOVE!" she screamed as green energy erupted from the ground.

Jaide flinched, her cold face breaking for just a single moment.

Hat Kid took this as an opportunity, rushing forward, brandishing her umbrella. Jaide's gaze snapped toward her, and her face hardened again. As soon as Jaide was within striking distance, she vanished and appeared on the other side of the circle.

Hat Kid skidded to a halt, gritting her teeth in frustration. Of course, Jaide was going to play dirty. What was it with people double-crossing them?!

Her mind raced, trying desperately to think of ways to defeat Jaide. She was most similar to Snatcher, right?! Maybe she had the same weaknesses- but they wouldn't be able to turn her blue with her attack since her magic was green. And Jaide didn't seem like she'd even let them get close.

Jaide's hands lit up with green fire.

Okay, now's not the time to worry about that.

Hat Kid ran over to Bow Kid, quickly pulled her up to her feet, and dashed to the Outlander. "Hide in a shadow or something," she told him. "Get out of here!"

The Outlander nodded weakly, his ears flattened. He stared at Jaide, trembling.

Jaide brought her hands together, and the green fire lengthened and morphed into a long, green, wickedly sharp scythe.

"NOW!" Hat Kid yelled.

The Outlander snapped out of his trance and dove toward the shadow Jaide cast.

Which put him in Jaide's range.

Jaide swung her scythe, which caught the Outlander in the side. He cried out and was sent tumbling. When he finally slid to a halt, he weakly pushed himself to his feet.

Hat Kid groaned. Okay, so maybe the Outlander was kind of an idiot.

With him temporarily immobilized, Jaide turned back to the girls.

Bow Kid lifted her umbrella boldly, despite having been weakened. "Split up," she murmured to Hat Kid. "She can only focus on one person at a time."

Hat Kid nodded, and the two bolted away in opposite directions. Jaide's eyes widened once she realized what the two were doing. She started to back away as Bow Kid raced toward her.

Meanwhile, Hat Kid made it to the Outlander's side. She pulled him roughly to his feet. "Is the first time you've been in a battle?" she asked him, her annoyance leaking into her voice.

He hesitated, then nodded. "Yeah," he murmured. Then he frowned. "Wait, where's the other one of you? The other girl?"

"Bow Kid?" Hattie asked. "Don't worry about her. She can take Jaide for now."