Chapter six

​Weeks passed and I never spoke to Steven. He smiled when we happened to walk by each other at school. Dan seemed pleased. Callie and Dan continued to be my main source of friendship. Dan never mentioned the football game, or Steven. Callie and I attended the last two of Dan's games together. Callie would become so excited when the three of us hung out, I'm sure this was due to her crush on Dan.

​Friday nights' game was away and a long way away. I believe it was about an hour drive. I had decided not to go.

​"Are you sure you don't want to come to the game Friday?" Dan asked.

​"My parents already said you could ride with us." Dan was 16 and had a car but he seemed to always go to the games with his parents.

​"No, my dad is helping coach this year round little kid's baseball team and he'll wake me up super early getting ready Saturday morning so I'd rather not stay out real late Friday night."

​Dan looked disappointed. Callie looked sort of happy.

​Friday night mom was actually home with dad and I. We ordered pizza and watched "The Other Boleyn Girl" together. I had picked this movie. I've always loved history, especially the Tudor era. Henry the 8th and Anne Boleyn's love story has always been of great interest to me.

​As the movie was coming to an end, mom was sound asleep on the couch. Dad told me Steven's step-father was actually helping him coach tomorrow.
​Dad knew I had no interest in sports-let alone baseball and offered to leave me some money for takeout. I declined.

​"I think I'll go. I don't want to sit around at home all day, tomorrow."

​Dad had an inquisitive look on his face.

​"You know I don't mind you going, but it's going to be hot and I'm sure you'll be bored." Realization struck him.

​"Honey, if you're going to see Steven, I wish you wouldn't. He really isn't a good idea."

​"He's not so bad and anyway, we're just friends. I want to have friends. He may not even be there right?"

​Dad shook his head disapprovingly.

​"I'm sure he'll be there. He helps us coach sometimes."

​Well then, see, how bad could he be if he helps young boys play baseball. He must be good with children, I thought to myself.

​The next morning arrived and I could hardly wait to get to the baseball field. Steven hadn't sent me a message on Facebook or made any attempt to contact me at school. I thought he might have liked me but then, I guess I could've easily thought wrong.

​I rode with Dad to the baseball field, which wasn't far from our house. It was a small, older baseball field near an old school that wasn't used any longer.

​Steven was there, leaned up against the fence at the dug out when I arrived, talking to a young boy. He was obviously hot, as sweat was rolling down his face. The child with Steven appeared to be around the age of 10-11.

​Steven looked up as dad and me were walking by, he obviously seen me. I tried my best to pretend I didn't see him, hopefully he didn't notice me staring.

​"Honey, I've got to go out in the dugout and round up all these wild boys." Dad was already in game mode.

​I nodded understandingly. I'm not sure why on earth I came. I could be sitting at home in the air conditioning right now.

​Steven began walking toward me as the young baseball players filled the dugout. I then remembered why I came. I felt myself get almost sick to my stomach as he approached. He was just so gorgeous.

​Steven sat down beside me without saying a word. We both looked at each other and began to laugh. He had a beautiful laugh. He smelled like mown grass today instead of his usual smell of marijuana. He was still wearing that same Clemson hat. He had on a tank top and some basketball shorts, all of the other coaches were in khakis and a collared shirt.

​"Why aren't you in khakis like the rest of the coaches?" I asked to start conversation.

​"I'm not a coach, I just help occasionally. That little kid I was talking to is my cousin, but he lives with me. I just like hanging around him, he's a cool kid. Besides, it's too hot for that shit."

​I wasn't used to profanity of any kind.

​"I know, I can't believe it's the end of September and still this hot."

​We talked throughout the game. I didn't want to mention or ask why he hadn't tried to get in touch with me since we went to the football game together. Steven's little cousin would run over periodically when he was supposed to be in the dugout and talk to Steven. Steven introduced me to him as Alex.

​"I want a pretty girlfriend too, Alex busted out." I immediately blushed. I couldn't stand how easily my face flushes. I just hoped he would assume it was the heat.

​"You'll have one, one day." Steven smiled down at Alex. Alex ran back in the dugout while being chastised by Steven's step-dad. Steven explained Alex was always into something, very hyperactive and was always in trouble at school. He was 13 and was very smart and advanced in academics for his age but was still yet, wild as a buck, as they would say around Mayberry.

Why didn't Steven correct his cousin? I wasn't his girlfriend.

Talking with Steven quickly became natural and comfortable. We talked a lot about Alex and baseball. I had no interest in sports but somehow listening to Steven talk about it made me interested.

​"You ready, honey?" It was my dad approaching. The game had passed by faster than I had anticipated. He half smiled at Steven.

​"I'll meet you in just a second at the car, I've got to load some stuff into my trunk, Steven do you mind helping me?"

​Steven nodded and my dad turned to walk away. Steven took my chin in his hands and dropped it as he smiled, winked and walked away, following behind my dad.

​I sat there for a minute just giddy then followed behind them to my dad's car. I cranked the car and turned on the ac, dad got in the car with me shortly and again expressed his concerns about Steven.

​"You and Steven seem to be rather friendly. I'm not stupid, I can tell when something is going on with my daughter. You've never had any interest in baseball before. I just wish you wouldn't pursue this."

​I just smiled at dad reassuringly.

​"We really are just friends, Dad."

​He looked unconvinced.