Chapter seven

​The weeks fly by. The weather turns cold as autumn is in full swing. For this, I was thankful. Halloween was right around the corner. Callie, Dan and I planned to go to a haunted house and then go back to Callie's house to watch horror flicks. I was way excited since I'd never been to a haunted house. My parents were never big on Halloween.

​Steven had talked to me minimally since the baseball game. When I went with my dad to the games, he did sit with me but conversation was minimal. He sometimes would hold my hand or grab my chin like he did the first game. I didn't understand this boy.

​Halloween night, I went to Callie's before Dan arrived to pick us up. Evelyn was there and icky as ever. Anytime I laughed or spoke she rolled her eyes. They shared a room so there was no escaping her.

​Callie had asked to borrow some of my clothes and was letting me do her hair and makeup, much to Evelyn's disapproving looks.

​I put her in a black long sleeve shirt, so she would remain true to herself. Some tight jeans with holes and some adorable duck boots.

​There was a knock on the door, it was Dan's voice.

​"Hey, girls, your mom let me in. Is everyone decent?"

​Evelyn jumped up to let Dan in, she obviously liked him more than me.

​Dan looked at me and smiled upon entering the room, then his eyes went to Callie. She blushed, slightly.

​"Wow, Callie you look great. You both do." He stated as he sat down on Callie's bed. Evelyn smiled at Callie and left the room. That was probably the first time I'd ever seen her smile.

​"Y'all can't be getting too scared tonight," Dan joked.

​Callie returned his comment with a laugh.

​"You know I'm not afraid of anything. I love this stuff." She beamed with pride. They seemed to have the same interests. Callie's room had some drawings framed on the walls of various horror movie characters that Dan had drew.

​Dan walked us out to his car. I immediately panicked, knowing how car sick I get, I was afraid to be stuck in the back.

​"I'm really sorry to ask, but I get motion sickness terribly. Is there any way I can sit in the front? I'm afraid if I sit in the back you may have vomit all in your car."

​Dan laughed. Callie looked disappointed. I'm sure she was planning on riding up front with Dan, but it was sincerely the truth. Dan had a two door mustang and proceeded to open the passenger side door for Callie and I.
​Dan and Callie both had the same wild taste in music. I just listened and sat quietly. I became so glad I was able to obtain the front seat. Dan drove like a mad man. Dan's car had a very mechanic like gas type smell. I guess Dan sensed my confusion.

​"Sorry about the smell in here, this car is a work in progress, I'll put it that way." He smiled and his dimples showed.

​The haunted house was terrifying-to say the least. I screamed throughout the entire thing while Callie and Dan laughed. At the very end we were attacked by insane people with chainsaws and I almost panicked. Dan, seeing my terror, took my hand and pulled me into him and he walked us through the chainsaw men. I kept my eyes completely closed. Chainsaws was a hard no for me.

​I didn't realize we were out of the house almost to the parking lot and I still remained with my hand in his and my face buried in his chest. Callie cleared her throat and I looked up to Dan's blue eyes and dimples smiling back down at me. I then looked at Callie who was clearly upset.

​The drive home was the same as the drive there. Callie and Dan discussing random things I had no interest in. They got along so well, I wondered to myself why they hadn't ever dated. Surely Dan could tell Callie had a crush on him. Conversation seemed to flow so freely and open with them. I found myself jealous of Callie in that way. Not because of Dan but her outgoing personality. She was able to talk to anyone-she could make anyone feel like she was their best friend. Meanwhile, I had a hard time making eye contact.