Chapter 8

"Now why are you up here all alone love? The party is downstairs." Cassie sat at her mirror, brushing through her curls, she looked behind her in the mirror to see Klaus standing there. "It's quiet up here, the people down there are awfully noisy and I can't stand listening to them talk any longer." Klaus let out a chuckle, "There's a woman talking to Elijah downstairs, they say her name is Katerina Petrova. She's quite a catch." Cassie shifted in her seat, continuing to brush out her hair. "Come on now, there's a beautiful young girl talking to Elijah and you aren't willing to do anything about it? That's not the Cassandra I know." Cassie smiled ever so slightly, "Is she human?" Klaus nodded, "Then I have nothing to worry about. This Katerina girl is the least of my problems. Though I wouldn't mind making my lovely Elijah just a bit jealous." Klaus smirked and held out his hand, "Now that's the spirit."

     Cassie stood up and took his hand, she intertwined her arm with his as he led her through the long hallways back downstairs. She could hear the music, feel the vibrations of the people talking, the door opened suddenly and light poured onto her face. All heads turned in their direction. Klaus gave her hand a firm squeeze as they began to walk through the crowd, "Here they are." Elijah held his hand out and there stood a young woman. Cassie froze, a doppelgänger. "You must be Niklaus and Cassandra, it's a pleasure." She gave a small curtsy, her eyes locked on Klaus. Cassie let go of Klaus and gave her a small curtsy, "You must be Katerina, I've heard a lot about you." Katerina smiled, "All good things I hope." Cassie smirked and looked towards Elijah, he gave her a small nod which she ignored. "Cassandra darling why don't we give Niklaus and Katerina a moment to themselves?"

     "Are you sure? I wouldn't want to pry you from any important matters." Elijah narrowed his eyes, only earning a grin from Cassie. She nodded to Klaus and Katerina then proceeded to walk away  from the festivities. Elijah wasn't far behind her, she got out of the main party room, and walked down a long corridor. "You seem jealous." Cassie turned around, not far on her heels was Elijah, he walked up to her and looked her deep in the eye, "We're 400 years old and I've never had to share you, I believe I have every right to be jealous." Elijah smirked, putting his hand on her cheek, "You have every right to be jealous Cass, doesn't mean you should be." Cassie blushed and look away, "Don't pretend as if you don't love me being jealous." Elijah turned her head back so she was facing him, he wrapped his other hand around her waist and pulled her in tightly, "I won't confirm nor deny that suspicion. Why don't you and I take a walk? Down by the lake, we could observe any available snacks. It could be fun."  Cassie sighed, "As fun as that sounds I just got this dress and I wouldn't want to get it dirty." Elijah pulled her in even closer, "Looks like you'll have to take it off then." Cassie grabbed his hand and pulled him down the corridor and towards the hallway of her room.

     The memory slowly faded as the sunlight came beaming down on her face, Cassie groaned softly, wanting to hold onto the memory just a little bit longer. She felt something shift next to her, that's when she noticed a hand wrapped around hers. She opened her eyes, it took her a few blinks before her eyes could fully adjust. Laying on a couch in a gorgeous house, sat right next to her was Elijah, there was a soft smile on his face. "Good morning mi amor." Cassie shifted and a pain came shooting through her neck, she winced. "You're going to be in some pain, that's what happens when someone snaps your neck." Cassie looked up at him, "Am I dead?" Elijah chuckled, "And why would you think that?" Cassie stretched her neck, "Because last I checked you were lying still with a dagger in your heart." Elijah rubbed her hand with his thumb and turned his head to look to the side, "We have the lovely Elena to thank for that."

     Elena stood there leaning up against the doorway, when she made eye contact with Cassie she gave her a small smile. "How are you feeling?" Cassie slowly sat up, letting out a groan, "Well I'm not alive so I don't know what to say." Elena and Elijah both laughed, "If you don't mind me asking, who snapped my neck?" Elena hesitated, shifting her position slightly, "Stefan. As much as we want Klaus dead, you almost killed Alaric." Cassie sat there nodding her head slowly, she looked down and noticed her clothes from the night before were still on, the dress had blood stains and rips on it. "Does this place have a shower?" Elijah nodded, "Yes, I'll grab you some fresh clothes and a towel." He got up and wandered off into another room. Elena went and pulled Cassie up from the coach, "I'll show you to the bathroom."