Flotilla.

We had been floating around the sea aimlessly for around thirty minutes. We could see things were falling apart, we watched as staff sent rockets into the air, we watched as men left their women and children on the boats, the tears were plain to see on their faces, we all huddled together to get warm. I told the man steering the boat that we must go back, that not everyone will make it, that everyone deserves a chance. The man ordered me to be quiet, that when the ship goes under, those that didn't get a boat will try and swamp us. I told him I didn't care. The man angrily tells me, that if I'm willing to get into the sea and give up my seat, he'll happily throw me in the water. I of course wanted to help, but we were helpless. Titanic was more bow into the sea, she was flooding fast, people began throwing themselves off the ship into the ice cold water. I told the man that once the ship has submerged, we must go back and search for anyone left, he promised he would. We had been in the water for over an hour, we watched as men cut the thick ropes of the lifeboats, things were getting worse.

The ships huge bottom and propellers were sticking out of the sea, it was almost at the point where it was snapping. We could hear the tension from the weight of the ship, we could hear it as it was about to tear. The ship finally broke in two, causing huge waves as the sailor urged us all to pull away. We had pulled very far from the sinking ship, we waited as we heard the screams of people to come back, I wanted to go back, but the sailor refused. Then a boat containing less than what we had onboard rowed towards the screams. The people pulled some that survived onboard. Then there was silence, we floated around for hours, then the sailor decided to go and look for survivors. We pulled around five people onto our boat, all from steerage. The sad truth was, five more minutes in that ice cold water and they would've been dead.  Our boat was still relatively empty, a sailor who must've held rank above ours, made us swap from our boat to his. The sailor that has us was now on the other boat searching for survivors, they found quite a few, some very close to death, I hoped they got those people out of the water in time. Our boat was full to capacity, we began floating again the cold nighttime air was biting at us. We sailed through many that didn't make it, I looked as women looked for their husbands or male relatives, but they couldn't see in the dark. My mind wondered to Henry, what will he think when the news reaches Ireland of the sinking? I know my Henry and I know how worried my love would be, even his family.

The boat that carried us, was drifting towards a ship, not the ship we all seen in the distance, the one that would've seen a huge ship slip into the ice cold ocean. It was named the Carpathia, it had a flotilla of boats weaving towards her. We watched in the distance as their sailors were pulling people onto their ship, they had blankets ready, they were wrapping them around every person boarding their ship. We were still a couple of hours away, but our sailor passed around a scope where we could watch the survivors get onboard. We were exhausted from rowing, but we had to take turns, my hands were blistered, my teeth and those of my fellow survivors chattered since we got on this boat. Soon our boat reached the side where they had a ladder and we all had to climb up one at a time. It was finally my turn, I made my maid go before me, as her pallor was bad, she was grey and her lips a bright blue. I watched as a sailor placed a blanket around her shoulders, she stood and waited for me. Once onboard the crew member of that ship asked us for our names as he said he would send those names to New York and to our place of birth. I knew my Henry would be eager to know if we both made it. We made it, but only just. I did fall asleep after my last turn at rowing, my maid was huddled into me to keep me warm, but I told her that after that event, she was my equal, no longer my maid but my friend. I had rowed while Ruth slept, I heard her murmur a name, she kept saying Mairead over and over. Once on the Carpathia, I asked Ruth who Mairead was? Ruth was finally flushed a little in her face, she replied, "madam, how is it you know that name?" I explained she was talking in her sleep on the boat, Ruth lied to me for the first time since meeting her, she said, "Mairead is a very close friend." I knew she must've been closer than just a friend, it was the first time she ever mentioned a name, especially someone she was close to. I decided not to pry any further for now, but if this woman is a lover, I'll help her reunite with her. I understand, I have been in her position, before I met Henry, my mothers maid was my lover, I don't know what the term is for loving both sexes, but I do and I know I always will. On Titanic, I had thoughts about Clarissa, she was beautiful and then it hit me, once we are settled on this boat I need to look for her. Then I remembered, she stayed with Mr Strauss, at least that's what I remember, I'm not even sure if that's real, these past few hours have been quite traumatic. I suddenly remembered, that Agatha had told me Mr Strauss and Clarissa had got on the first boat, they would definitely be somewhere on this ship. I went looking for the the man that took our names, surely if they were the first boat off the Titanic, they would be here. The man told me that he couldn't give me information on other passengers, that I'll just have to wait until we docked. Ruth began to look better, the crew gave us warm tea and a slice of bread and butter, I couldn't eat it. I noticed a lady eyeing my slice of bread and I gave it to her, she gave it to her baby, he or she was sucking on the bread, the baby then opened the lady's dress and began sucking from her breast, it was sad to see but at least he or she was getting fed. Ruth and I found a spot close to some seats, she lay on the floor and huddled together and fell asleep. I have no idea how long we slept for, but when we woke up, we were in New York. We were slowly allowed to disembark the ship, I rushed to telegram Henry, he needed to know I or we made it. I asked Ruth did she need to send any telegrams? Ruth said she would once we were settled, the only thing we had was our fur coats, the £1000. I'm devastated at losing the luggage, but we are alive that's the main thing. We noticed the paper boys sandwich board, it stated 1,500 perished. I can't believe that many died, but we seen their bodies as we floated in the night towards the ship that rescued us. I finally found Clarissa, Agatha and Mr Strauss, they too made it. I was embarrassed seeing Clarissa especially as how attracted I was to her, but I am in love and I will be married once Henry comes here.