From Death Comes Life.

Weeks had passed since the binding, Josephine was our Josephine once again. Our daughter was smiling, she never left Kenneth's side, he decided to take some time off so they could catch up. Kenneth turned down work for several months, it was soon time for him to return to work, but he put off due to Mrs Simpson being sick again. It was strange, but we tried with the herbs again, they did nothing, we tried a spell and potion, nothing was working. Mrs Simpson finally had a diagnosis, she had cancer. We all knew that no potion or spell would work, all we could do was make her passing comfortable, but Mr Simpson put her in hospital, we had almost no access to her. The doctors did all they could, they made her comfortable and she passed quickly, to us that was relieving. Kenneth was devastated, Kenneth senior wasn't the same man after, he became reclusive and barely washed or ate. The day after Mrs Simpson was buried, Josephine realised something, she was very late. We took her to the doctor and he confirmed what we already knew, she was around four months pregnant, it certainly helped Mr Simpson, the news gave him a new lease of life, he began preparing for his grandchild. Mr Simpson had carpentry skills, he made the crib for the baby, he made a nursing chair and a rocking horse.  He even bought a pinard horn so he could listen to the baby. Mr Simpson was now getting back to his usual loving self.

Our family were beginning to start enjoy our lives once again. My own feeling of a weight being lifted still hadn't happened, it was like i was constantly feeling like something else was going to happen. I began to read my tarot cards on a daily basis, they always looked good, but as we knew things could change in a heartbeat. Elisa was starting to act like any other grandmother, she gave up witchcraft and began making clothes and knitting for the baby. We believe that we have turned a corner, things can only get better from now. Josephine was now almost eight months gone, she will soon be giving birth to a beautiful baby girl, I didn't tell anyone I knew, but they'll all be excited once she's born. I know Kenneth wants a son, his father doesn't care as long as he or she is born healthy. The next two months flew by, soon our daughter was having pains, we called for the doctor and had the birthing room prepared. Josephine wanted to have the baby in the house she was born in, the house which she wanted to be with us in. It almost felt like she didn't want to be away from us. Josephine decided she wanted her confinement in our home as well, then once she was bonded to the baby she would go home to her house, where the nursery was prepared, we prepared a temporary nursery so she could get a break from time to time.

The little one was born, she was as beautiful as her mother, she had her fathers hair colour and eyes. We watched as Kenneth became a truly hands on father, which was strange for this era, men didn't do anything for the women, at least the men I knew. We asked Josephine what she was going to name her and she told us Julianna, Kenneth was delighted. Mr Simpson had tears in his eyes when he found out. We asked her did she want a Christian baptism for Julianna? Josephine told us she would like to, but eventually she would like her to be a witch like me. Josephine was finally ready to go home, we booked a christening for several weeks later. It was another way to celebrate, a way to put the past behind us all. Elisa couldn't pull herself away from Josephine and the baby, she took up residence in her and Kenneth's house. I was alone most nights, but i didn't care, i liked my solitude, it gave me time to practice my craft. I visited our daughter when Elisa was off doing errands for her, Julianna was growing fast, it got to the stage where Elisa couldn't make enough clothes quick enough, she had to buy them. Kenneth wasn't doing so well in the fatherhood department, when Julianna began to get her teeth, he took solace at his fathers home. I was then glad that Elisa was with her, she wasn't alone. I can remember those sleepless nights, they were distressing for both of us. It was beautiful to walk around the park with the baby, my wife and our beautiful granddaughter. Julianna had this sparkle in her eyes when she heard her fathers voice, Josephine told us when she was in the womb she did the same thing.

Julianna was growing fast, soon she was making playmates from the park, Josephine spent most of her time with other mothers, my wife finally came home, it's hard to believe she was nearly two. Two years went by without incident, i didn't want to jinx anything, but that awful feeling returned again. Then i realised it was approaching the end of the twenties, i knew it was nine more years until a Second World War was about erupt. I was frightened, we were safe, but if word ever got out that i wasn't a man, the people that soon became our friends would disown me. They would know if I didn't sign up for the draft, besides i was now in my early fifties, they were prosecuting homosexuals more and more now. It seemed to tie into the time when that awful man started bleating his vile views, to the point a lot stateside started to see the same. Then i noticed an influx of people like us into New Orleans, it was like a sanctuary to them. The more people that came into New Orleans like us, the more people unlike us left, we didn't have to suffer as black people did, they were hunted, hung on trees, set on fire whilst alive. It wasn't a happy existence after the financial crash either, Julianna had to be pulled from her private school as Kenneth's business went under. I tried to tell Josephine that she would be better homeschooled anyway, like she was. Elisa swore she would be her teacher, as long as she went back to work making music? Josephine thought about it, she knew her mother was right, the household needed an income, we offered Kenneth money, he refused help from us. We still many millions left, we began investing our money when we first received it. I knew the crash was coming several years ago, so I took our investments out and bought gold, we still had millions in disposable income. We never kept it in the bank, we took it out when i told Elisa about the coming crash and put it in our secret safe. We were a hundred percent sure that no one knew about it, not even the other witches. I know that the rest of the coven had money, they took theirs out when they discovered the upcoming crash too. A crash that would have an arm in the upcoming war as well.