From A Curse To A Miracle.

Days passed since landing in New York, I hadn't heard a word back from Henry. I sent a letter along with another telegram. Ruth and I found a house in upstate New York, it was a beautiful house, it was large and big enough for Henry and the family when they finally get here. I wrote to Henry again, telling him I had found our house, we were soon invited to New York City to discuss what happened on that fateful night. Ruth and I gave our evidence, we were told that we would be getting a settlement in the form of money to compensate us for our losses, we had to give detailed descriptions of our belongings, there would be a payment placed into an account of our choosing, we had to open up bank accounts. I still hadn't heard a word from Henry, I was beginning to worry. A few days later we finally had word from Ireland, something terrible had happened to Henry. We learned that he was in a bar the night after we set sail, he was attacked and was in a serious condition in a hospital in Cork, his family were trying to have him moved to Belfast but the doctors have advised to keep him there until he's well enough to be transferred.

I was beside myself with worry, I was also extremely angry at myself, all I could think about was my wedding. Ruth and I had been in the most horrific of situations and I was thinking about myself. I went into town one day, I bought a newspaper, it gave the list of names that were lost, the headline read, "The Cursed Unsinkable Ship." The headline was right, it was cursed, those that built her cursed it, she wasn't even christened, like every other ship. As much as I felt the guilt of survival, I was happy to be alive. I asked Ruth to accompany me to New York City, we opened accounts as some restitution was to be paid into our accounts for our losses, if Ruth wasn't my maid, she wouldn't have been given a dime. We soon learned that those lost from steerage wouldn't be given a penny. It was Ruth that suggested we fundraise for their families. The newspaper that contained the names, we researched who had money and who didn't. We knew those that boarded Titanic at Queenstown, would've been third class. We found out where Agatha and Clarissa were, we told Agatha of the fact that people of our standing would receive restitution, but those they tried to save wouldn't. Agatha told me she knew and she was sickened by how White Star Line treated those people, that she would help in raising funds. Agatha informed me that Clarissa and Mr Strauss wasn't a match, they said their goodbyes on the dock, he was a married man already, but his wife was on her way to New York after what had happened, he missed her and didn't want to spend another moment without her. Agatha was delighted as she didn't want Clarissa to marry an old man anyway, she just wanted her to meet someone younger.

I was happy at this news, I wanted Clarissa for myself, I had a gut feeling that Henry wouldn't be joining me, I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach he would die. I of course would be left destitute, but Ruth and I had a roof over our heads. I had a plan, I knew it was cruel, but I could fix it so I would become Mrs Gold without having to marry Henry. I contacted a priest I knew in Cork, he was an old family friend. The priest was told to visit Henry in the hospital to make sure he wouldn't make it. It was an evil plot but the priest would help. The priest Father Thomas returned a letter with a marriage certificate, Henry died in hospital. In his final moments he signed the marriage certificate, I was now legally Mrs Gold. My in-laws if you can call them that, wouldn't know any difference, they knew Henry took me to Cork, he was unconscious for the whole time his parents visited him. The only time he woke was when they weren't there. Henry signed the wedding certificate and once I had it in ny possession, I sent a copy to Belfast, Henry's parents never questioned it, they knew how in love we were. They replied telling me that they would give me Henry's share of his inheritance. I knew this would be a large amount, so I could give those families a share of it. That ill fated journey took Henry as well, the Golds would come and visit me when they buried Henry, the priest really went above and beyond, he even gave Henry a wedding band, one I needed to buy for myself.

White Star Line gave me quite a bit of money, I added it to the money I was sending to the people in Cork. We decided with Agatha and Clarissa to hold an evening of fundraising. Agatha invited hundreds of her rich friends, they put a lot of money into the pot, soon there was a few hundred thousand dollars for those poor souls. We sent the money to the local church and made them sign a declaration that the families will receive every penny. Ruth and I were sorted financially, we didn't have to worry about our finances for a while. The ill-fated journey we took, placed Ruth and I in a very great situation now, I knew eventually that I would have to see my own family. I didn't want to see them yet, I just wanted to spend time with Ruth, I knew Clarissa wouldn't have been interested in me. Clarissa wanted that great wedding to a man of stature. Mr and Mrs Gold were coming to see me, they sent a telegram as they think that last night Henry and I had together, would've had a child, it was possible as I know Mrs Gold knew when my period was due. I hadn't had it yet, there's the possibility I could be with child. I began counting down the days, it didn't come. I never wanted to be a mother, so I found a doctor that would remove it. It turned out I was further along than that last night, I was three months along. The doctor removed it, I was now free of it. I loved Henry with all my heart, but I didn't want want a child. The child would've grown up fatherless, it would've been Ruth and I taking care of it. I know Mr and Mrs Gold wanted grandchildren, but it wasn't their place to force me into carrying a baby then being alone to raise it. They wouldn't have been around forever. I soon learned Mr and Mrs Gold were in New York, I was still in pain from the surgery, so I had to feign a stomach illness, I didn't want them to know. I greeted them to the house, Ruth had their room in order, they were devastated at the loss of Henry, they even believed that Titanic was responsible for his death. I soon heard from Frederick, my mother had died, he was angry as he wasn't in the will. The entire estate was left to me and my siblings. It wasn't a large estate, but my mother had saved much money over the years, I told the lawyer to send the money to the families from Titanic, not the rich families but the families from steerage. The lawyer asked me why I was doing it, but he understood why after my telling him. I began receiving letters from families from all over Ireland thanking me for my kindness. It turned out that a curse turned into a miracle.