A Perfect Day.

It's been two months since Josephine introduced us to Kenneth, they were totally in love. Elisa and I both visited Mr and Mrs Simpson, we discussed the wedding as Kenneth proposed to her over dinner. Mrs Simpson for the first time since knowing her smiled, it was like she was really eager for this wedding. We had known the Simpson's for a long time, in fact it was Kenneth senior that helped me settle in New Orleans. I began to think that Mrs Simpson either knew about us, or that she was Astaroth in human form, it was always odd, when I invited Mr Simpson for dinner one evening, Mrs Simpson declined, I think it's possible that Astaroth has possessed Mrs Simpson, I thought those beings were smarter than that. Astaroth knew I was a witch, he probably adjusted to show Julianna in a benevolent manner. As I came to think of it, Mrs Simpson had changed dramatically, she was extremely friendly when I first met her, she smiled all the time, but when Kenneth and Josephine began courting, she was a completely different person. I began to study Julianna. I had to be sure. The wedding was set for September, it would be cooler a little then, we didn't want our daughter dripping with sweat on her big day.

Mrs Simpson suddenly began taking Josephine for wedding dresses, Elisa went along with her, Mrs Simpson was different around Elisa, she was bullish around me. I would have her berate me over the slightest thing, Mr Simpson intervened from time to time. I began to suspect more as the day was long, that the lovely Mrs Simpson was no longer the woman i first met all those years ago. I kept this from Elisa, I didn't want her to worry, I just wanted this wedding over with, so I can send that maniacal bastard to hell once and for all. I found a way to get rid of him before, I'll find a way to get rid of him again. I remembered from a book I'd read, to get rid of a demon permanently was to take the blood of a newborn lamb, make it ingest it. I had to go in search of a newborn lamb, which would be a momentous task since spring had passed. I fortunately knew of a farmer that lambed all year round, it was a fair way away outside of New Orleans, but the trek there would be worth it. I didn't tell Elisa, I took a coach there and the farmer gave me blood from a lamb he had just slaughtered, it was straight out of its mother. I'm far from religious but to me this seemed biblical. The farmer didn't even question it, it was like he knew. I didn't care, I just wanted to get home as we knew we would have the Simpsons over that night for a special dinner. It was a pre wedding dinner, a get to know each other intimate meal with three couples. I had selected the wine, I poured the blood into the wine and left it on the table, it was actually Mrs Simpsons favourite.

The doorbell rang, it was Mr and Mrs Simpson and my future son in-law Kenneth. Josephine was in her room getting ready, I poured wine for Mr and Mrs Simpson and Kenneth to be sure he wasn't Astaroth either. Mrs Simpson happened to comment on how I selected her favourite wine. I watched as she sipped over the glass, soon she began to shake, I read an incantation, one of my own and suddenly Mrs Simpson was on the floor writhing in agony, it was her, he was inside of her. Mrs Simpson soon began speaking in a language none of us understood, there was a black cloud above her, only I could see, then it disappeared. Mrs Simpson got up, she was still shaking a little and we brought her into the parlour to rest. I went to check on her, she was the sweet lady I had known all those years ago. I explained she had some sort of fit, she told me hasn't been able to remember why she was here, I told her that our children are to marry, this evening, if she still wished to continue it, would bring our families together for life. Mrs Simpson sat up, she said, "I have a message for you, the person that took hold of my body, said he will be back for Josephine one day, he won't ever forget." I always knew I had to be vigilant, so I told Mr Simpson that his wife was now awake and she feels that the night should continue. Mr Simpson and Kenneth took Mrs Simpson to the dining room. Josephine came downstairs when it was all finished, that was relieving. Mrs Simpson commented on how beautiful she looked, then she told us she couldn't remember what happened before, we explained to Josephine that Mrs Simpson had a fit, but she's fine now. Josephine sat beside Kenneth, Mr and Mrs Simpson sat holding hands, something I'd not see them do in a while. We all sat down and ate together and discussed the upcoming nuptials. Mr Simpson told us that Kenneth looks like a true gentleman in his suit. Mrs Simpson and Elisa didn't breathe a word on what Josephine's dress looked like.

The evening was a resounding success, but you could tell how confused Mrs Simpson now was, she promised to visit the doctor the next morning. I didn't worry about the message, I knew that lambs blood would keep him away forever. I often felt after that our family was cursed. I did a spell to lift any negativity away from us. The air in our home was now much heavier, I felt as though the black cloud the exited from Mrs Simpson has embedded itself in our walls. We as a family were trying to be happier, it was then Josephine began asking me about witchcraft, she knew I practiced but she didn't know how I practiced. I didn't want her to be a part of this world, after all she was to be married soon, I highly doubt her new husband would appreciate it. It was the norm in New Orleans, people practiced openly, but many didn't believe in it. The wedding was soon at our door, I watched my wife dress her, tears rolling down her face, we walked to the foyer of the house for our pictures, we hired a photographer for after the ceremony. The wedding coach was here, I helped our daughter inside and joined her, she held my hand tighter that journey. I could feel her trembling and I tried to reassure her that she will make a great wife and perhaps a mother? Josephine scolded me, she said, "father, let me get this day over first before the talk of children begins, I'm not sure if I'm ready to be a mother, I want to focus on my music for a little while." I told her to walk her path and it'll turn into a beautiful garden. Josephine finally settled, arriving at the church, I began to shake, she had to comfort me on the long walk up the aisle. We finally reached the altar, Kenneth stepped out, her chaperone Lizzy was her bridesmaid, she looked beautiful too. The priest rushed the ceremony, quickly my daughter wasn't under my care anymore, she was now Mrs Simpson. I watched my wife have tears stream down her face and our daughter scolding her, telling her she will ruin her face for the pictures. We all walked outside and locals, strangers threw rice, Josephine and Kenneth got into their carriage, they went to their own house, one that Mr Simpson and I had built for them. They were to take a train the next day for their honeymoon in France. Elisa was beside herself that night, we wouldn't see our daughter for several months. We had a visit from the newlyweds the next morning before they got on the ship, a thing that hit me in the gut, but this was her life now. They told us thank you for the perfect day.